Two Charged Particles in SHM

In summary, two identical particles, each with charge +q, are fixed in space and separated by a distance d. A third particle with charge -Q is free to move and lies initially at rest on the perpendicular bisector of the two fixed charges a distance x from the midpoint between the two fixed charges. If x is small compared to d, the motion of the -Q charge is simple harmonic along the perpendicular bisector with a period of T. When the -Q charge is initially released at a distance a<<d from the midpoint, it will have a maximum velocity of v_max. To find the resultant force, we use Coulomb's Law and basic trigonometry to get cosθ = x/√(d2/
erok81

Homework Statement

Two identical particles, each having charge +q, are fixed in space and separated by a distance d. A third particle with charge -Q is free to move and lies initially at rest on the perpendicular bisector of the two fixed charges a distance x from the midpoint between the two fixed charges. See image.

a) Show that if x is small compared with d, the motion of -Q is simple harmonic along the perpendicular bisector. Determine the period of that motion.

T=?

b) How fast will the charge -Q be moving when it is at the midpoint between the two fixed charges if initially it is released at a distance a<<d from the midpoint?

v_max=?

Homework Equations

I know Coulomb's Law and Hooke's law might be used somehow, but that's about where I am.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't even know where to start.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    958 bytes · Views: 1,034
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the force between each of the +q charges and the -Q charge?

Shouldn't the horizontal component of this force be the resultant force?

For something to move with SHM a = -ω2x (so use Newton's 2nd Law)

Your first two sentences I can see how to do. I just don't get how to relate F_e to SHM.

erok81 said:
Your first two sentences I can see how to do. I just don't get how to relate F_e to SHM.

Find the resultant force and put it equal to ma

I think I've forgotten a bit too much from Physics I.

I have no clue how to get from Newton's Law to period. I see you posted a = -ω2x, but I don't have an option to use omega. I only have k_e, q, Q, m, d, and a.

erok81 said:
I think I've forgotten a bit too much from Physics I.

I have no clue how to get from Newton's Law to period. I see you posted a = -ω2x, but I don't have an option to use omega. I only have k_e, q, Q, m, d, and a.

Forget about for now.

What is the horizontal resultant force? (first 2 lines of the second post)

Ok..turns out I can't solve that either. I am working from some pos e-book which is impossible to use.

I thought you had to break them down into components, but my book doesn't do that. Looking at an example in the book I get...

[tex]F_e=(k_e|q||-Q|)/x^2[/tex]

I am assuming that the vertical components cancel leaving only the horizontal component.

erok81 said:
Ok..turns out I can't solve that either. I am working from some pos e-book which is impossible to use.

I thought you had to break them down into components, but my book doesn't do that. Looking at an example in the book I get...

[tex]F_e=(k_e|q||-Q|)/x^2[/tex]

I am assuming that the vertical components cancel leaving only the horizontal component.

The force between two charges Q1 and Q2 separated by a distance r is

F= kQ1Q2/r2

What is the distance from -Q to either +q charges?

Hence what is the force between each pair of charges?

Ah...the distance would be √(x^2+(d^2/4))?

erok81 said:
Ah...the distance would be √(x^2+(d^2/4))?

Right, so then the force between +q and -Q at the top is? (This is the same as the force between -Q and +q at the bottom)

k|q||Q|/(√(x^2+(d^2/4))?

erok81 said:
k|q||Q|/(√(x^2+(d^2/4))?

Right, so then what is the horizontal component of this force?

Working on the same problem here:
Wouldnt it be [(k|q||-Q|)/(d^2/4 + x^2)]cos(theta)? (then multiplied by 2 since the top and bottom combine?)
That's as far as I got on my own as well. Do we have to use the conservation of energy theorems and use that to find the angular velocity? ( If so, please remind me of the equation!)

bubthegreat said:
Working on the same problem here:
Wouldnt it be [(k|q||-Q|)/(d^2/4 + x^2)]cos(theta)? (then multiplied by 2 since the top and bottom combine?)

Yes. Also you can remove the | | signs and just write it as

[tex]F = \frac{-2kQq}{\frac{d^2}{4}+x^2}cos \theta [/tex]
bubthegreat said:
That's as far as I got on my own as well. Do we have to use the conservation of energy theorems and use that to find the angular velocity? ( If so, please remind me of the equation!)

You can forget about finding the ω for the moment.

Now that you have the component, looking at the triangle formed, can you use basic trigonometry to write cosθ in terms of d and x ?

Last edited:
Cos(theta)=sqrt(d^2/4+x^2)/x if I'm understanding what you're asking for correctly. Am I? :P Would you mind explaining what you're walking me through? I know you're going somewhere with this, so I'm curious, and obviously need to understand if I'm going to get it right, hehe.

btw, here's the picture of the problem we're asked to do.

http://www.webassign.net/pse/p23-12.gif

thanks for the help

bubthegreat said:
Would you mind explaining what you're walking me through? I know you're going somewhere with this, so I'm curious, and obviously need to understand if I'm going to get it right.

Well we are trying to show that it moves with SHM right? To do that, one usually finds the resultant force and then applies Newton's 2nd law. Thus far we are finding the resultant force.

bubthegreat said:
Cos(theta)=sqrt(d^2/4+x^2)/x if I'm understanding what you're asking for correctly. Am I? :P

I think you inverted it, it should be cosθ = x/√(d2/4+x2)

So now we have this

[tex]F = \frac{-2kQq}{\frac{d^2}{4}+x^2} \frac{x}{\sqrt{\frac{d^2}{4}+x^2}}[/tex]

Looks a bit complicated but that's ok. They say that x is small, so what does that mean for x2 or any other higher powers of x? (say x = 0.0001, x2 is smaller, x3 will be even smaller,etc.)

1. What is SHM?

SHM stands for Simple Harmonic Motion. It is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium and always directed towards the equilibrium point.

2. How are two charged particles involved in SHM?

In the context of SHM, two charged particles refer to two particles with opposite charges that are interacting with each other through an electric force. This force causes the particles to oscillate back and forth between each other, creating a simple harmonic motion.

3. What factors determine the amplitude of the SHM for two charged particles?

The amplitude of SHM for two charged particles is determined by the initial conditions of the system, including the initial position and velocity of the particles, as well as the distance between them and their charges.

4. How does the mass of the particles affect the SHM?

In SHM, the mass of the particles does not affect the frequency or period of the motion. However, it does affect the amplitude of the motion. Heavier particles will have a smaller amplitude, while lighter particles will have a larger amplitude.

5. Can SHM occur between particles with the same charge?

No, SHM requires an oscillation between opposite forces. If two particles have the same charge, they will experience a repulsive force that will cause them to move away from each other, rather than oscillating back and forth.