1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two charges add to zero

1. Feb 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to find the point at which the electric field from two charges adds to zero and came to the equation (kq)/x^2-(kQ)/(x-d)^2 = 0

2. Relevant equations

(kq)/x^2-(kQ)/(x-d)^2 = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that (kq)/x^2-(kQ)/(x-d)^2 = 0 is the correct equations but algebraically do not know what to do from here.

Thanks for the help

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Are the charges both the same sign?

4. Feb 5, 2009 #3
    The charge at x = 0 is negative and has magnitude q = 2 mCoulombs. The charge at x = d, (d = +12 cm), is positive and has magnitude Q = 4 mCoulombs.

5. Feb 5, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Then your equation is already set up wrong, because the field between a positive and a negative is always non-zero at every point in between.

So if it isn't 0 between them it must be 0 somewhere else.

6. Feb 6, 2009 #5
    I must have typed something wrong but in the help section of the homework it gives me this:

Ex = (1/4peo)*((q/x^2) - (Q/(x-d)^2)) (for x < 0)

Setting this expression equal to zero yields the equation:

x^2*(q-Q) + x*(-2qd) + qd^2 = 0

I am just wondering mathematically how you get from the first equation to the second one because I have no idea...

7. Feb 6, 2009 #6

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

After canceling common factors, that step can be made by cross multiplying from

q/x2 = Q/(x-D)2

But you say they are choosing x<0, but I would note that for x<0 the distance to the other charge is x + D not x - D. This equation would be true for x>D however.

8. Feb 6, 2009 #7
    Ahaaa I get it now thanks a lot.

And then how do you get to x = d*((q/(q - Q))*(1 +/- sqrt(Q/q))

9. Feb 6, 2009 #8

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

That's the solution for a quadratic equation?

The Quadratic Formula?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook