1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two charges create an electric field-electric field strenght at a point above h.fiel

1. Jan 26, 2010 #1
    Two charges create an electric field--electric field strenght at a point above h.fiel

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two charges are located on a horizontal axis. The Coulomb constant is 8.98755x10^9 Nm^2/C^2.

a) Determine the electric field at p on a vertical axis as shown in the attachment. Up is the positive direction. Answer in units of V/m.

b) Calculate the vertical component of the electric force on a -3.1e-6C charge placed at point p. Answer in units of N

2. Relevant equations

a) E=kQ/r^2
    b) F=Eq

3. The attempt at a solution

a) I'm fairly certain I know how to find the field strength from the two charged particles, if point p was directly on the field and in the center.

E=E1+E2
    E=k/r^2(Q+q)
    E=8.98755e9/3^2(2.2e-6+2.2e-6)
    E=4393 V/m

But I think I also need to take into account that p is above the two particles, but now I'm stuck...

b) I think this part would be easier, I just can't do it since I haven't gotten the answer to part a.

F=Eq
    F=E(that would be found in part a)(-3.1e-6)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi dgl7! :smile:
    That's correct, if p was on the x-axis, you would use r = 3 for each charge, and add.

Instead, use r = the actual distance between p and each charge.

That will give you the force, so remember force is a vector, and add the two vectors.

4. Jan 26, 2010 #3
    Re: Two charges create an electric field--electric field strenght at a point above h.

AHHH that makes sense. Thanks very much!

5. Jan 26, 2010 #4
    Re: Two charges create an electric field--electric field strenght at a point above h.

Ok nope. Nevermind, I'm still confused.
    This is what I've been doing and attempting:
    E=Eleft+Eright
    E=kQleft/r^2+kQright/r^2
    (r=r and Qleft=Qright)
    E=2kQ/r^2
    E=2*8.98755e9*2.2e-6/(1.8^2+3^2)
    E=3230.818627 V/m

Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

6. Jan 26, 2010 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The electric field is a vector,

so the electric field from each charge has the magnitude kQ/r2, but it also has a direction.

The direction is different for each charge, so you can't just add the magnitudes, can you? :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?