Two cocentric conducting spheres

In summary, when solving for the electrostatic potential between two concentric conducting spheres, it is important to use the correct formula for the multipole expansion coefficients. In this case, the correct formula is C_n = (2n+1)/(ε_0 b^n) ∫σ(r)P_n(cosθ)dS, where σ(r) is the surface charge density of the sphere. This can be calculated using the relation σ = ε_0 (∂V/∂r).
crimsonidol

Homework Statement

Two concentric conducting spheres of radii a and b (a < b) are separated into four hemispheres by a nonconducting sheet. The upper ( 0 < θ < π / 2 ) outer (radius b) and lower ( π / 2 < θ < π ) inner (radius a) hemispheres are kept at potential +V. The upper inner and lower outer hemispheres are kept at potential –V. Find the electrostatic potential in the region between the two spheres. Evaluate the expansion coefficients explicitly for terms up to l = 4 .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I had an attempt to solve problem however when I got to the end I realized that I have no r dependence in the function.
I attached my solution and I circled the part that r's gone. I am doing something wrong there. Can someone tell me where?

Attachments

• 5thQ.jpg
    5thQ.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 381
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving this problem. Your solution looks correct up until the point where you mention the missing r dependence.

I believe the issue is with your expression for the multipole expansion coefficients. The formula you used, C_n = (2n+1)/(2ε_0 b^n) ∫V(r)P_n(cosθ)dr, is for a point charge, not for a conducting sphere. For a conducting sphere, the multipole expansion coefficients are given by C_n = (2n+1)/(ε_0 b^n) ∫σ(r)P_n(cosθ)dS, where σ(r) is the surface charge density of the sphere.

In this problem, since the spheres are at a fixed potential, the surface charge density can be calculated using the relation σ = ε_0 (∂V/∂r). Once you have the correct expression for the multipole expansion coefficients, you should be able to solve for the electrostatic potential in the region between the spheres.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your solution!

What is the concept of two concentric conducting spheres?

The concept of two concentric conducting spheres is a physical arrangement in which two spheres made of conductive material are placed one inside the other, with the same center point. This arrangement is often used in experiments and applications involving electric fields and capacitance.

How do the electric fields vary between two concentric conducting spheres?

The electric field between two concentric conducting spheres is dependent on the charge on each sphere, the distance between them, and the material properties of the spheres. Generally, the electric field is strongest at the surface of the inner sphere and decreases as you move towards the outer sphere.

What is the capacitance of two concentric conducting spheres?

The capacitance of two concentric conducting spheres is the ability of the system to store electric charge. It is directly proportional to the radius of the spheres and the permittivity of the material between them, and inversely proportional to the distance between the spheres.

How does the capacitance change if the distance between the spheres is increased?

If the distance between the spheres is increased, the capacitance decreases. This is because the electric field between the spheres becomes weaker, resulting in a lower ability to store electric charge.

What are some real-world applications of two concentric conducting spheres?

Two concentric conducting spheres have various practical applications, such as in capacitors used in electronic devices, Van de Graaff generators used in particle accelerators, and in experiments to study electric fields and capacitance. They are also used in medical devices, such as defibrillators, and in lightning protection systems.