Collision of Two Cars: Time, Distance & Speed

• Thread starter plaguemelove
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cars
In summary: So you can't set x(t)=y(t). Instead, you need to find the equations for the position of each car separately, and then set them equal to each other to find the time of collision.In summary, two stunt drivers are driving towards each other, with car 1 starting at rest and car 2 driving towards it at a speed of 13.8 m/s. At t=0, car 1 begins to move towards car 2 with constant acceleration of 3.52 m/s^2. The two cars collide at a time of 7.84 seconds, with car 1 moving a distance of 108 meters during that time. The speed of car 1 just before the collision is 27.
plaguemelove
1.Two stunt drivers drive directly toward each other. At time, t=0, the two cars are a distance 85.0 m apart, car 1 is at rest, and car 2 is driving towards car 1 at speed 13.8 m/s. Car 1 begins to move towards car 2 at t=0, speeding-up with constant acceleration 3.52 m/s^2. Car 2 continues to move at constant velocity.

a. At what time do the two cars collide?
b.How far did car 1 move during that time?
c.Find the speed of the car just before the collision.

2. No relevant Equations were given.

3.a. At what time do the two cars collide?
Here is what I did:
x(t)=car 1
y(t)=car two
x(t)=x0+v0*t+0.5*a*t^2
y(t)=x0+v0*t+0.5*a*t^2
x(t)=y(t)
0.5*a*t^2=v0*t
t=2*v0/a
t=2(13.8m/s)/3.52m/s^2
t=7.84 s

b.How far did car 1 move during that time?
Here is what I did:
x(t)-x0=v0*t+0.5*a*t^2
x(t)-x0=0.5*3.52m/s^2 * (7.84s)^2
x=108 m

c.Find the speed of the car just before the collision.
Here is what I did.
v(t)=v0+a*t
v(t)-v0=at
v(t)-v0=(3.52 m/s^2)(7.84s)
v=27.60 m/sI am not sure if I did this problem completely correctly because we do not have these sort of problems in our books or are taught in class, because they want us to learn the application of these equations. Therefore I tried. Please tell me if this is correct and if not, lead me into the direction.
Thank you so much.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
x(t)=car 1
y(t)=car two
x(t)=x0+v0*t+0.5*a*t^2
y(t)=x0+v0*t+0.5*a*t^2

This is right. (As long as you remember that the constants in each equation are different).
0.5*a*t^2=v0*t
But this is not right, because car 2 starts at a different position than car 1, but in this equation, you are effectively saying that they start in the same place. Also, the velocity of car 2 should be opposite to that of the acceleration of car 1, so you need to remember that v0 = -13.8 m/s (if we take car 1 to be traveling in positive direction, and car 2 to travel in negative direction).

1. What is the formula for calculating the time of a collision between two cars?

The formula for calculating the time of a collision between two cars is: time = distance / speed. This means that the time it takes for two cars to collide can be found by dividing the distance between them by the combined speed of the two cars.

2. How can the distance between two cars be determined during a collision?

The distance between two cars can be determined during a collision by using measurements such as skid marks on the road or the distance between impact points on the cars. This information can then be plugged into the formula for calculating the time of collision.

3. What factors can affect the speed of a car during a collision?

The speed of a car during a collision can be affected by factors such as the weight and size of the car, the road conditions, the driver's reaction time, and the speed of the other car involved. Other factors, such as the use of brakes or airbags, can also impact the speed of a car during a collision.

4. How is the speed of a car calculated after a collision?

The speed of a car after a collision can be calculated by using the formula: speed = distance / time. This means that by measuring the distance the car traveled during the collision and the time it took to travel that distance, the speed of the car can be determined.

5. Can the time, distance, and speed of a collision be used to determine fault in a car accident?

While the time, distance, and speed of a collision can provide valuable information about the events leading up to an accident, they cannot be used to determine fault on their own. Other factors, such as weather conditions, driver behavior, and vehicle malfunctions, must also be taken into consideration when determining fault in a car accident.