Two commutation processes for RL circuit.

In summary, for the given circuit, we need to calculate the first commutation process (t=0) and the second commutation process (t = 2*τ). The circuit remains the same for both processes. For the first commutation, we can use Kirchhoff's laws to write equations and solve for the values of current and voltage at each component. For the second commutation, we use the same equations, but the values of the resistors may have changed due to the first commutation. It is important to consider these changes when solving the equations.
evol_w10lv

Homework Statement

I have to calculate first commutation process (t=0) and second commutation process (t = 2*τ)

wcjtwh4tjufwhsowaujv.png

qse73bh6up9t2f7pc0h.png

Both swithes are closing in the given time moment as I wrote before.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'll do this task step by step, that's why here isn't full of my own solution yet.
First of all, I want to ask few questions to be sure:
8e1pp6ofxa6q3hu5e6mi.png

This is same circuit as before?
And then this is circuit of first commutation:
vame0fy1cgrhtw3as5jo.png

If it's true, I'll start to write equations for both commutations.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! Thank you for your post. To answer your questions, yes, this is the same circuit as before. And for the first commutation process, the circuit would look like this:

[insert circuit diagram here]

Now, for the first commutation process (t=0), we can use Kirchhoff's laws to write the following equations:

1) Loop 1: -V + R1*I1 + R2*I2 = 0
2) Loop 2: -R2*I2 + R3*I3 = 0
3) Node: I1 + I2 + I3 = 0

To solve these equations, we can use substitution or elimination methods. Once we have the values for I1, I2, and I3, we can calculate the voltage and current at each component in the circuit.

For the second commutation process (t = 2*τ), the circuit will look like this:

[insert circuit diagram here]

Using the same equations as before, we can solve for the values of I1, I2, and I3 at this time moment. It is important to note that the values of the resistors may have changed due to the first commutation process, so these values should be taken into account when solving the equations.

I hope this helps in your calculations. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!

What is a commutation process for an RL circuit?

A commutation process for an RL circuit is the transfer of energy between the inductor and the resistor in the circuit. This process occurs when the current changes direction, causing the magnetic field in the inductor to collapse and induce a voltage in the circuit.

How does a commutation process affect the behavior of an RL circuit?

A commutation process can cause fluctuations in the current and voltage in an RL circuit. The inductor's ability to store and release energy can affect the circuit's response to changes in voltage or current.

What are the two types of commutation processes for an RL circuit?

The two types of commutation processes for an RL circuit are natural commutation and forced commutation. Natural commutation occurs when the current naturally changes direction, while forced commutation is controlled by an external device.

What is the difference between natural and forced commutation?

Natural commutation is a passive process that occurs without any external control, while forced commutation requires an external device, such as a diode or thyristor, to actively control the direction of current in the circuit.

How can commutation processes be improved in an RL circuit?

Commutation processes can be improved by using components with lower resistance and inductance values, reducing the circuit's overall impedance, and using advanced control techniques to minimize energy losses during the commutation process.