Is the Cambrian Explosion the End of Phyla Evolution?

In summary: not really substantiated his concerns, but has contributed to the development of a more nuanced understanding of how homeotic genes might act.
Originally posted by Zero
What absolute statement did I make?

And, what aspect of biology is current evolutionary theory not able to explain in principle?
You said that orthodox evolutionary theory does not claim to be able explain consciousness. I said it cannot explain it. I don't see the difference. Or do you think Neo-Darwinism will suddenly change?

I didn't say that current evolutionary theory could not explain all the aspects of biology. Of course it does since biology is defined as what current evolutionary theory can explain. My point was that it doesn't cover all the facts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Canute
You said that orthodox evolutionary theory does not claim to be able explain consciousness. I said it cannot explain it. I don't see the difference. Or do you think Neo-Darwinism will suddenly change?

I didn't say that current evolutionary theory could not explain all the aspects of biology. Of course it does since biology is defined as what current evolutionary theory can explain. My point was that it doesn't cover all the facts.

See, here's one of the places where the lack of scientific knowledge really hurts the discussion. You made an unfounded absolute statement: "evolution cannot explain consciousness". Putting aside the illogic of that statement, the relevant point is that evolution doesn't have to explain it, because consciousness doesn't fall under the definition of evolution. Evolution doesn't explain chemistry, or black holes, or auto mechanics either, so does that in some way invalidate evolution?

Faulting evolution for not explaining consciousness to your liking is like faulting a car for not being able to fly.

See, here's one of the places where the lack of scientific knowledge really hurts the discussion.
It's ok, mine isn't perfect either.

You made an unfounded absolute statement: "evolution cannot explain consciousness".
To make it clear - Neo Darwinist orthodoxy is an account of the evolution of zombies. In this view the evolution of life on Earth would have unfolded precisely as it has if there was no such thing as consciousness. This is consistent with the view of the 'hard' sciences, whose theory rests on the assumptions that the universe is causally complete, that it is entirely physically determined and that consciousness is non-causal.

This entails that the existence of consciousness cannot be explained by science, and that the 'evolution of consciousness' is an incoherent idea, making consciousness non-existent within current evolutionary theory ex hypothesis. It certainly cannot explain it.

Putting aside the illogic of that statement, the relevant point is that evolution doesn't have to explain it, because consciousness doesn't fall under the definition of evolution.
If you look carefully you'll see this is tautological.

Consciousness is associated only with living species as far as we know. Science routinely assumes that it arises from biological brains. If so it evolved. The fact that evolutionists choose to define 'evolution' so as to exclude it is neither here not there.

Evolution doesn't explain chemistry, or black holes, or auto mechanics either, so does that in some way invalidate evolution?
That isn't quite the point. At the moment the orthodox view is that consciousness is non-causal. It is therefore ignored by most neo-Darwinists (even though Darwin did not do this). Yet if it is a product of brains and brains evolved then it evolved. Yet how could it evolve if it is non-causal, if it does not contribute to 'fitness'? We must assume then that it did not evolve. In this case it is the only known case of a species-wide feature appearing, becoming more complex, and passing from generation to generation without fail since the dawn of time for no reason at all.

Faulting evolution for not explaining consciousness to your liking is like faulting a car for not being able to fly. [/B]
I don't fault evolutionists at all for not explaining consciousness. Nobody can do it. I blame them for it defining out of existence when it clearly exists and is clearly connected to biological function.

If machines were conscious then you'd have a point. But only biological entities that have evolved have it. It would some coincidence if this was not for biological reasons.

Last edited:
Why is it that every conversation turns into a justification for a person's idiotic, pseudoscientific BS?!?

Originally posted by Canute : To make it clear - Neo Darwinist orthodoxy is an account of the evolution of zombies. In this view the evolution of life on Earth would have unfolded precisely as it has if there was no such thing as consciousness. This is consistent with the view of the 'hard' sciences, whose theory rests on the assumptions that the universe is causally complete, that it is entirely physically determined and that consciousness is non-causal.

This entails that the existence of consciousness cannot be explained by science, and that the 'evolution of consciousness' is an incoherent idea, making consciousness non-existent within current evolutionary theory ex hypothesis. It certainly cannot explain it.

*SNIP

Consciousness is associated only with living species as far as we know. Science routinely assumes that it arises from biological brains. If so it evolved. The fact that evolutionists choose to define 'evolution' so as to exclude it is neither here not there.

*SNIP
At the moment the orthodox view is that consciousness is non-causal. It is therefore ignored by most neo-Darwinists (even though Darwin did not do this). Yet if it is a product of brains and brains evolved then it evolved. Yet how could it evolve if it is non-causal, if it does not contribute to 'fitness'? We must assume then that it did not evolve. In this case it is the only known case of a species-wide feature appearing, becoming more complex, and passing from generation to generation without fail since the dawn of time for no reason at all.

I don't fault evolutionists at all for not explaining consciousness. Nobody can do it. I blame them for it defining out of existence when it clearly exists and is clearly connected to biological function.

If machines were conscious then you'd have a point. But only biological entities that have evolved have it. It would some coincidence if this was not for biological reasons.
Forgive the rather crude SNIPping and SNAPping, but there are some good points here.

First, if we are to include 'consciousness' as an object of our study in biology (first; its inclusion in evolution would come later), how do we do this?

More concretely, how do we determine which organisms - today - have 'consciousness'?

Is this a binary thing? e.g. homo sap has it, but all other eukaryotes don't.

Or a 1-dimensional thing? e.g. Homo sapiens has 27.4 units of 'consciousness', Tachyglossus aculeatus (a.k.a. the echidna) has 3.56 units of 'consciousness', Magnolia virginiana (a.k.a. Sweetbay Magnolia) has 0.078 units of 'consciousness'.

Or something else entirely?

Perhaps we can cut to the chase and say that the amount of 'consciousness' that an organism has is directly proportional to the size of its brain?

You see the problems? In principle, 'consciousness' may be no different from 'bi-pedalism', or 'implementation of PSI', but how can we tell?

Why is it that every conversation turns into a justification for a person's idiotic, pseudoscientific BS?!? [/B]
First you have to show that it does before wondering why. I must presume that you can't answer my comments.

First you have to show that it does before wondering why. I must presume that you can't answer my comments.
Your comments have no bearing on evolution. Your little pet theory isn't science, and has no place in a scientific conversation.

Originally posted by Nereid

First, if we are to include 'consciousness' as an object of our study in biology (first; its inclusion in evolution would come later), how do we do this?

More concretely, how do we determine which organisms - today - have 'consciousness'?

Or a 1-dimensional thing? e.g. Homo sapiens has 27.4 units of 'consciousness', Tachyglossus aculeatus (a.k.a. the echidna) has 3.56 units of 'consciousness', Magnolia virginiana (a.k.a. Sweetbay Magnolia) has 0.078 units of 'consciousness'.

Or something else entirely?

Perhaps we can cut to the chase and say that the amount of 'consciousness' that an organism has is directly proportional to the size of its brain?

You see the problems? In principle, 'consciousness' may be no different from 'bi-pedalism', or 'implementation of PSI', but how can we tell?

Nereid, How can we argue that biological systems evolve, if humans are the only biological system conscious? From what did they evolve, from systems that are not conscious? Humans are conscious of the fact, that biological complexity, however that relates to consciousness, seems to give an organism its level of conciousness.
Why do we notice that as system complexity increases, the level of consciousness seems to also, whether we have talked to dolphins or not. This is a simple experiment, just ask your neighbor next door whether this is his or her conscious observation, that matches yours.
Can we not trust comparrison of human experience? My opinion is that consciousness seems to engulf a entity, it so does at a certain level depending on system complexity, system complexity facilitates its entrance not that it needs it. When your dead that system complexity is useless.

Originally posted by Nereid

I think you've outlined the issues well. I don't think we can include consciousness in Biology as it stands. At present Biology is defined so as to exclude it. However it's an odd situation when psychology is supposed to be a scientific disclipine but evolutionary theory denies that our psychology affects our behaviour.

We can't, and never will. However we can assume one way or the other, as we do now.

My guess is that at the very least all creatures that can 'act' have it, but this cannot be proved.

Possibly - but there's no evidence that this is the case. It seems reasonable to say that the bigger the brain the more like human consciousness the entity's consciousness will be. However in the end 'brains' are for computation and it's not clear yet how computation relates to experience.

You see the problems? In principle, 'consciousness' may be no different from 'bi-pedalism', or 'implementation of PSI', but how can we tell? [/B]
No I wasn't suggesting that conciousness is no different to bi-pedalism, and I'm not suggesting that evolutionary theory should explain consciousness. I'm suggesting that the fact that we are conscious affects our behaviour, and that this should be acknowledged in evolutionary theory. I know that it cannot be acknowledged at the moment (it would contradict physics for a start) but we are free to alter our assumptions and IMHO it's time we did.

Even Darwin saw this problem.

“In higher animals the use of the term ‘instinct’ to describe complex behaviour became progressively more difficult because of the interference of increasingly large doses of judgement and reason: ‘ The orang in the Eastern islands, and the chimpanzee in Africa, build platforms on which they sleep; and as both species follow the same habit, it might be argued that this was due to instinct, but we cannot feel sure that it is not the result of both animals having similar wants and possessing similar powers of reasoning.’ ” (D I 36 (Descent of Man and Selection in Relation to Sex)

Current theory is very good at explaining how the genes for bi-pedalism became spread throughout the species once a few pioneers started to walk upright. What it does not explain is why they bothered to do so if they were not conscious that it gave them an advantage. At the moment it's as if they first stood up by accident.

Last edited:
Current theory is very good at explaining how the genes for bi-pedalism became spread throughout the species once a few pioneers started to walk upright. What it does not explain is why they bothered to do so if they were not conscious that it gave them an advantage. At the moment it's as if they first stood up by accident.
Huh?

There are several examples of bi-pedalism emerging by accident. Bipedal dinosaurs, for example. Bipedal insects. Bipedal lizards. Bipedal birds. (all of them!) And we do see an evolution in hip structure allowing humans to stand up for periods of time. Saying that they "decided" to stand up sounds suspiciously like Lysenkoism.

Yet how could it evolve if it is non-causal, if it does not contribute to 'fitness'?
I don't understand what you mean. Either it is a by product of increased brain complexity, which has other advantages, or it does have a survival value and does contribute to fitness. Both have reasonable evidence. Of course, evidence of consciousness does not exactly feature prominently in fossils, and even less if we adopt the metaphysical "experience" definition.

If machines were conscious then you'd have a point. But only biological entities that have evolved have it.
Prove it.

Originally posted by FZ+
Huh?

There are several examples of bi-pedalism emerging by accident. Bipedal dinosaurs, for example. Bipedal insects. Bipedal lizards. Bipedal birds. (all of them!) And we do see an evolution in hip structure allowing humans to stand up for periods of time. Saying that they "decided" to stand up sounds suspiciously like Lysenkoism.
How often do you stand up without meaning to? It must come as a surprise when you do. I'll make the statement and let you disprove it - there is no evidence as yet that anything in the whole history of the planet stood up by accident. It is a neo-Darwinist assumption for which there is no evidence.

I don't understand what you mean. Either it is a by product of increased brain complexity, which has other advantages, or it does have a survival value and does contribute to fitness. Both have reasonable evidence. Of course, evidence of consciousness does not exactly feature prominently in fossils, and even less if we adopt the metaphysical "experience" definition.
You can argue that it is a by-product, as epiphenominalists do, but you cannot argue it that it bestows any advantage. To do is to contradict the scientific view. I agree that there is evidence that is does bestow an advantage (or disadvantage) but this is denied by evolutionary biologists (although there are exceptions).

Prove it. [/B]
Why do you think there is such a debate going on about whether non-biological organisms can be conscious? It's because no example has yet been found.

However I agree it cannot be proved - I was just stating the scientific orthodoxy.

Wouldn't it be nice if people actually bothered to understand what evolution was, before making claims about it?

I've not seen this much misunderstanding of evolution is so few posts in a long time. We've got "animals choose to evolve", we've got "why doesn't it explain consciousness(in a metaphysical mumbo-jumbo sort of way)?", we've got "it doesn't explain origins, so it must be wrong", plus varied and sundry creationist nonsense.

Wouldn't it be nice if people in the process of having their dogmatic views challenged would actually stay on topic and not resort to propaganda?

I don't mind a sermon on having an honest, rational discussion but some people have no business preaching it.

Wouldn't it be nice if people actually bothered to understand what evolution was, before making claims about it?
We agree at last. And what Fliption said.

Originally posted by Fliption
Wouldn't it be nice if people in the process of having their dogmatic views challenged would actually stay on topic and not resort to propaganda?

I don't mind a sermon on having an honest, rational discussion but some people have no business preaching it.
Yeah, it would be nice if we could avoid propaganda...unfortunately, the dogma is coming from the creationist and pseudo-philosophical side.

Listen, Fliption, and tell me if I'm wrong:

We need to define what evolution can and cannot do, what science can and cannot do. Then, we need to stop faultying evolution and science in general for not doing what it admittedly cannot, and is not even claiming to be able to do. Thirdly, it would help if people wouldn't carry the baggage of previous and other ongoing debates into this on.

For instance, "consciousness"(whatever that is), is a dabate to have with the cognitive scientists. The evolutionists are only really concerned with gene frequencies over generations, and their effects on biological funtions. While the evolution of brains peripherally falls under evolution, the "materialist/idealist" debate really doesn't belong here, you know? It certainly doesn't invalidate or weaken evolution.

Yeah, it would be nice if we could avoid propaganda...unfortunately, the dogma is coming from the creationist and pseudo-philosophical side.

I've seen it from all views in these forums.

We need to define what evolution can and cannot do, what science can and cannot do. Then, we need to stop faultying evolution and science in general for not doing what it admittedly cannot, and is not even claiming to be able to do. Thirdly, it would help if people wouldn't carry the baggage of previous and other ongoing debates into this on.

For instance, "consciousness"(whatever that is), is a dabate to have with the cognitive scientists. The evolutionists are only really concerned with gene frequencies over generations, and their effects on biological funtions. While the evolution of brains peripherally falls under evolution, the "materialist/idealist" debate really doesn't belong here, you know? It certainly doesn't invalidate or weaken evolution.

But we're not really talking about what evolutionists are concerned with are we? We talking about what science ought to be concerned with in explaining the development of life. If someone now thinks that means climbing into a box called "gene frequencies over generations" then it seems someone has lost sight of the forest due to all the trees.

You may be right but it actually didn't jump out to me as an obvious fact that evolution has nothing to do with consciousness. I have long been asking the question, why are we conscious in light of how we supposedly developed? Since the scope of evolution is a theory of life development and life(at least some of it) is conscious then it's not obvious to me why this is out of scope.

Now if you're suggesting that all pet theories of todays science should be kept hidden from consciousness so they aren't affected by all its problems in order to avoid any paradigm shifts then I can't climb on board. It seems that any open, intelligent person would be naturally curious about the question I asked above.

Last edited:
Fliption, this isn't about who's right and who's wrong, this isn't about what is proper to be curious about, or which questions should be asked. It is, ultimately, about context. We HAVE to concern ourselves only with what evolutionary scientists are talking about, when discussing evolution, that is the only coherent way to go about it.

Now, I'm sure that there is a very specific group of people who call themselves "evolutionary psychologists" or some such, that would be interested in this debate, but the outcome of that discussion would likely(but not certainly) carry little weight in the overall scheme of evolutionary science. Picking apart a tiny bit of the overall subject generally doesn't lead to dismissing the entire field, don't you agree?

evolution vs anthropolgy

Fliption said:
But we're not really talking about what evolutionists are concerned with are we? We talking about what science ought to be concerned with in explaining the development of life. If someone now thinks that means climbing into a box called "gene frequencies over generations" then it seems someone has lost sight of the forest due to all the trees.

You may be right but it actually didn't jump out to me as an obvious fact that evolution has nothing to do with consciousness. I have long been asking the question, why are we conscious in light of how we supposedly developed? Since the scope of evolution is a theory of life development and life(at least some of it) is conscious then it's not obvious to me why this is out of scope.

Now if you're suggesting that all pet theories of todays science should be kept hidden from consciousness so they aren't affected by all its problems in order to avoid any paradigm shifts then I can't climb on board. It seems that any open, intelligent person would be naturally curious about the question I asked above.
I have to agree with Zero, your questions don't have anything to do with the scientific study of evolution.

What you are discussing is more along the lines of biological anthropology. Here is a link to help you understand the difference.

Biological Anthropology

"But human history begins in a different place further back in time. It starts at least 4 million years ago, when a population of apelike creatures from eastern Africa turned onto a unique evolutionary road. Thus, the anthropologist's comparative perspective must be expanded to include more than prehistoric human societies, for behavior has primate roots as well. To fully understand humankind we must learn more about its place in the natural habitat of living things.

Biological (or physical) anthropology looks at Homo sapiens as a genus and species, tracing their biological origins, evolutionary development, and genetic diversity. Biological anthropologists study the biocultural prehistory of Homo to understand human nature and, ultimately, the evolution of the brain and nervous system itself."

http://www.aaanet.org/anthbroc.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I will admit I don't have a clue what either of you are saying. To me this is like claiming that we understand how a car works. Our theory of how a car works explains everything that a car does except for the fact certain gases come out of the muffler. Our theory can't explain that, therefore it is out of scope for our car theory.

I'm sure I'm not understanding. I leave this analogy so you can see what I'm thinking.

Nereid: First, if we are to include 'consciousness' as an object of our study in biology (first; its inclusion in evolution would come later), how do we do this?

Canute: I think you've outlined the issues well. I don't think we can include consciousness in Biology as it stands. At present Biology is defined so as to exclude it. However it's an odd situation when psychology is supposed to be a scientific disclipine but evolutionary theory denies that our psychology affects our behaviour.
But why is consciousness so excluded? Because you can't stick it under a microscope! If & when Acme produces a deluxe instrument for measuring consciousness, maybe things will be different.

Psychology in evolution? Hey, my wish is that astrophysics can provide unambiguous predictions about the future direction of the national debt.
Nereid: More concretely, how do we determine which organisms - today - have 'consciousness'?

Canute: We can't, and never will. However we can assume one way or the other, as we do now.
Doesn't that take us beyond science then? Nothing wrong with that, but the corollary is then that's it's beyond the ken of any theory of evolution.
Nereid: Is this a binary thing? e.g. homo sap has it, but all other eukaryotes don't.

Canute: My guess is that at the very least all creatures that can 'act' have it, but this cannot be proved.
A quibble, but 'proof' isn't part of science.
Nereid: Perhaps we can cut to the chase and say that the amount of 'consciousness' that an organism has is directly proportional to the size of its brain?

Canute: Possibly - but there's no evidence that this is the case. It seems reasonable to say that the bigger the brain the more like human consciousness the entity's consciousness will be. However in the end 'brains' are for computation and it's not clear yet how computation relates to experience.
With the advances in neuroscience of the past decade or three, we may hope that many aspects of the 'computation/experience' relationship will be well constrained. Let's resume our discussion then.
Nereid: You see the problems? In principle, 'consciousness' may be no different from 'bi-pedalism', or 'implementation of PSI', but how can we tell?

Canute: No I wasn't suggesting that conciousness is no different to bi-pedalism, and I'm not suggesting that evolutionary theory should explain consciousness. I'm suggesting that the fact that we are conscious affects our behaviour, and that this should be acknowledged in evolutionary theory. I know that it cannot be acknowledged at the moment (it would contradict physics for a start) but we are free to alter our assumptions and IMHO it's time we did. *SNIP

And IMHO, there's a big red line: put factors like consciousness (as presently understood - the future is another day) into evolution, and so much of what has lead to its success (in a nutshell, the scientific method) disappears.

But why should we - as scientists studying evolution - worry what critters thought or felt when they 'stood up'? We can observe behaviour, we can make hypotheses regarding the observed behaviour, we can test them (in principle, if not always in practice), and so on.

If we ever get to the point of studying the development of consciousness in eukaryotes, we may be able to hypothesise about the advantages it brings/brought to critters (or not); until then ...

Fliption said:
I will admit I don't have a clue what either of you are saying. To me this is like claiming that we understand how a car works. Our theory of how a car works explains everything that a car does except for the fact certain gases come out of the muffler. Our theory can't explain that, therefore it is out of scope for our car theory.

I'm sure I'm not understanding. I leave this analogy so you can see what I'm thinking.
The problem is that what you are curious about doesn't fit into the "core" science of evolution. Your questions are valid, but not in this topic, they are a completely different discussion.

Fliption said:
I have long been asking the question, why are we conscious in light of how we supposedly developed? Since the scope of evolution is a theory of life development and life(at least some of it) is conscious then it's not obvious to me why this is out of scope.
Because the study of evolution is concerned with biological changes, not thought processes. It is possible to study biological changes, it is not possible to study what human predecessors 2+ million years ago might have been thinking.

Nereid's post goes into more detail.

I'm not interested in someone's ability to slice science up into nice and neat buckets. You're telling me that if you have reason to believe that some psychological characteristics of life could call into question the very method of development of the biology itself, that you're going to ignore this relationship? Just because they're taught in two different buildings at the university?

Fliption said:
I'm not interested in someone's ability to slice science up into nice and neat buckets. You're telling me that if you have reason to believe that some psychological characteristics of life could call into question the very method of development of the biology itself, that you're going to ignore this relationship? Just because they're taught in two different buildings at the university?
Explain to me how you are going to study the relationship of consciousness and the possible effects it has had on biological evolution. I'm curious to hear how this can be done.

Fliption said:
Does anyone 'have reason to believe that some psychological characteristics of life could call into question the very method of development of the biology itself'?

Perhaps you could clarify: what critters could you be referring to (other than homo sap.) - "some psychological characteristics of life"?

re 'the very method of development of the biology itself': we can go to a good library, pull down all kinds of books, of many different ages and written in many languages, and thus describe how 'biology' came to be what it is today. But I've got a sneaking suspicion you don't mean this - please clarify.

'could': there could be things happening in gamma ray bursts which, if we understood them, would shake the foundations of physics, lead to the replacement of General Relativity and Quantum Field Theory, etc, etc.

The good news about cross-disciplinary studies is that a) quite a few people trained in one field later go work in another (all science is better for it), and b) when enough data has been gathered, understanding become sufficiently stable and broad, tools refined (limits understood), etc, you do find new fields becoming established. One of my favourites is astro-biology; you may be interested in paleoecology.

Evo said:
Explain to me how you are going to study the relationship of consciousness and the possible effects it has had on biological evolution. I'm curious to hear how this can be done.

It does not fit into a scientific box so that means it doesn't exists as far as the credibility of your theory goes? I never said it could be done. But the fact that it cannot be done means there is an explanatory gap in your theory. Saying it is not in scope therefore the theory is not lacking seems a bit intellectually dishonest to me.

Nereid said:
Does anyone 'have reason to believe that some psychological characteristics of life could call into question the very method of development of the biology itself'?

Perhaps you could clarify: what critters could you be referring to (other than homo sap.) - "some psychological characteristics of life"?

The position has been presented that evolutionary theory explains the evolution of zombies. If we assume that consciousness is a product of evolution then the theory seems lacking. The only response that's been given to this is that the theory is not lacking because it isn't supposed to cover consciousness. That's for the scientist next door. That seems absurd to me.

The orthodox scientific view is that human consciousness evolved, yet orthodox evolutionists don't agree saying that evolution can be studied as if human beings were zombies. It is the orthodox view in 'analytical' philosophical circles that zombies cannot exist, yet apparently human beings are zombies. It is the orthodox scientific view that consciousness is non-causal, yet somehow human beings can collapse wave functions and in some theories can create new universes. It is the orthodox view that the universe is causally closed and strictly physically determined, yet the Copenhagen Interpretation of QM implies that the existence of the universe depends on the existence of conscious observers. Here we are, still evolving, still doing things on purpose, yet teleology is banned from evolutionary theory. As if maize evolved without intentional human intervention. Altruism is explained as if humans did not consciously know who is a stranger and who is kith and kin. The whole thing's a shambles. It only works because everyone stays in their 'disciplines' and passes the buck whenever there's a problem. Seems to me that particle physics is the only place where there's any sign of imagination or willingness to face facts.

Nereid said:
But why is consciousness so excluded? Because you can't stick it under a microscope! If & when Acme produces a deluxe instrument for measuring consciousness, maybe things will be different.
So because we can't measure it we don't need to take it into account. It's an argument I suppose.

Psychology in evolution? Hey, my wish is that astrophysics can provide unambiguous predictions about the future direction of the national debt.
Can you explain altruism without presuming conscious awareness?

Doesn't that take us beyond science then? Nothing wrong with that, but the corollary is then that's it's beyond the ken of any theory of evolution.A quibble, but 'proof' isn't part of science.With the advances in neuroscience of the past decade or three, we may hope that many aspects of the 'computation/experience' relationship will be well constrained.
Not a chance, and it's becoming increasingly obvious.

Let's resume our discussion then.And IMHO, there's a big red line: put factors like consciousness (as presently understood - the future is another day) into evolution, and so much of what has lead to its success (in a nutshell, the scientific method) disappears.
Why? It doesn't mean that selection, genetic inheritance etc are wrong.

But why should we - as scientists studying evolution - worry what critters thought or felt when they 'stood up'? We can observe behaviour, we can make hypotheses regarding the observed behaviour, we can test them (in principle, if not always in practice), and so on.
Why do biologocal entities care whether they live or die or bother to behave in any particular way? You can say 'programmed by our genes', but this is not enough. Brain plasticity shows that.

If we ever get to the point of studying the development of consciousness in eukaryotes, we may be able to hypothesise about the advantages it brings/brought to critters (or not); until then ...
That's making my point seem ridiculous, as you know.

Fliption said:
The position has been presented that evolutionary theory explains the evolution of zombies. If we assume that consciousness is a product of evolution then the theory seems lacking. The only response that's been given to this is that the theory is not lacking because it isn't supposed to cover consciousness. That's for the scientist next door. That seems absurd to me.
What is a 'zombie'?

What is 'consciousness'?

Canute: So because we can't measure it we don't need to take it into account.
Because we can't measure it, we *can't* take it into account.

Canute: Can you explain altruism without presuming conscious awareness?
What is 'altruism'? What is 'conscious awareness'?

Nereid: Doesn't that take us beyond science then? Nothing wrong with that, but the corollary is then that's it's beyond the ken of any theory of evolution.A quibble, but 'proof' isn't part of science.With the advances in neuroscience of the past decade or three, we may hope that many aspects of the 'computation/experience' relationship will be well constrained.
Canute: Not a chance, and it's becoming increasingly obvious.
I am not following you; neuroscience isn't advancing? the relationship between what the brain does - 'computation' (your word) - and experience isn't becoming better understood? No matter how much neuroscience we do, the relationship between computation and experience will forever by a mystery?

Canute wrote (Nereid emphasis): The orthodox scientific view is that human consciousness evolved, yet orthodox evolutionists don't agree saying that evolution can be studied as if human beings were zombies. It is the orthodox view in 'analytical' philosophical circles that zombies cannot exist, yet apparently human beings are zombies. It is the orthodox scientific view that consciousness is non-causal, yet somehow human beings can collapse wave functions and in some theories can create new universes. It is the orthodox view that the universe is causally closed and strictly physically determined, yet the Copenhagen Interpretation of QM implies that the existence of the universe depends on the existence of conscious observers. Here we are, still evolving, still doing things on purpose, yet teleology is banned from evolutionary theory. As if maize evolved without intentional human intervention. Altruism is explained as if humans did not consciously know who is a stranger and who is kith and kin. The whole thing's a shambles. It only works because everyone stays in their 'disciplines' and passes the buck whenever there's a problem. Seems to me that particle physics is the only place where there's any sign of imagination or willingness to face facts.
Which 'orthodox scientists' view 'consciousness as non-causal'?

Which facts need to be faced?

Do eukaryotes, other than homo sap., exhibit behaviour that Canute would describe as 'altruism'? If so, does Canute infer/assume/whatever that all such behaviour is, without qualification, evidence for 'consciousness' in such organisms?

This is coming from the camp of "subjective experience cannot be the result of the physical, because we don't find it emotionally satisfying"

The problem with that is, while philosophy has room for pure conjecture, opinion, and emotionalism, science limits that stuff as much as possible. And, of course, philosophy(as practiced by most laypersons) is not as disciplined as science, and they like it that way.

Unfortunately, science has rules, and if you don't like the rules or refuse to follow them, you can't play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nereid said:
Which 'orthodox scientists' view 'consciousness as non-causal'?

Which facts need to be faced?

Do eukaryotes, other than homo sap., exhibit behaviour that Canute would describe as 'altruism'? If so, does Canute infer/assume/whatever that all such behaviour is, without qualification, evidence for 'consciousness' in such organisms?
The problem with this is, if I understand Canute's point, is while instinct will mimic human behavior, humans also have a "magical fairy dust" which allows us to be conscious. The "magical fairy dust" only exists in those species with developed minds, and if your brain is damaged, you get less "magic fairy dust". Whenever something physical happens to your brain, the difference in your personality or intelligence is not due to the physical, but due to your brain affecting the "magic fairy dust".

In other words, while the brain behaves exactly like there is actually NO "magic fairy dust", the "magic fairy dust is necessary, because otherwise humans can't live after death, and there might not be a "God", and the supernaturalists won't know where morals come from.

Nereid said:
What is a 'zombie'?

What is 'consciousness'?

I rest my case.

Fliption said:
I rest my case.
So do I. Apples and oranges, NOMA, and a bucketful of chicken when I really want a box of steaks.