Is the Cambrian Explosion the End of Phyla Evolution?

In summary: not really substantiated his concerns, but has contributed to the development of a more nuanced understanding of how homeotic genes might act.
The problem with that is, while philosophy has room for pure conjecture, opinion, and emotionalism, science limits that stuff as much as possible. And, of course, philosophy(as practiced by most laypersons) is not as disciplined as science, and they like it that way.

Unfortunately, science has rules, and if you don't like the rules or refuse to follow them, you can't play.

Philosophy can be done poorly Zero. You never seem to acknowledge this. You always assume that because there are a few wackos (on the internet of all places) that this means all philosophers are emotional, irrational wishful thinkers. It's just not a very responsible position imo. When science is done poorly, you assign the phrase "pseudo science" to it. But no distinction is ever made for philosophy. How about pseudo philosophy? It takes a bit more thought(god forbid) to draw the distinction but to deny it is there is clearly wrong.

Zero said:
The problem with this is, if I understand Canute's point, is while instinct will mimic human behavior, humans also have a "magical fairy dust" which allows us to be conscious. The "magical fairy dust" only exists in those species with developed minds, and if your brain is damaged, you get less "magic fairy dust". Whenever something physical happens to your brain, the difference in your personality or intelligence is not due to the physical, but due to your brain affecting the "magic fairy dust".

In other words, while the brain behaves exactly like there is actually NO "magic fairy dust", the "magic fairy dust is necessary, because otherwise humans can't live after death, and there might not be a "God", and the supernaturalists won't know where morals come from.

And this is just more propaganda. I think you called it a "strawman" earlier. Is that right? My suggestion is that you battle your demons (god, magic fairy dust) somewhere else. No one here cares about your personal issues.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fliption, you just don't get it...I'm not even attempting to discuss the "right and wrong" of an idea. Do you know what "NOMA" means?

Fliption said:
I rest my case.
What case is it that you are resting?

Fliption said:
And this is just more propaganda. I think you called it a "strawman" earlier. Is that right? My suggestion is that you battle your demons (god, magic fairy dust) somewhere else. No one here cares about your personal issues.
This isn't about a personal issue of mine...it is about trying to explain things with incoherent terminology. "Magic fairy dust" has as much meaning(from a practical, scientific standpoint) as "soul" or "spirit". Seeing as all three of them are undetected, unmeasured, and unknowable(again, from the scientific standpoint), they are equal terms. What Canute seems to be describing is something that is non-material; yet the situation he is describing seems to resemble pure materialism, except that he claims some non-material thing is necessary. Anyhoo, we don't need to get into that here.

How do I explain this? Ok, I'll try this...

Let's say you are an auto mechanic. Your field necessitates understanding how the parts of an engine go together, how to figure out what breaks and how to fix it. The fact that the engine works on certain principles of thermodynamics and chemistry is only secondary. So, what happens if there is a new revolution in quantum mechanics that says that the building blocks of reality are different from what we have supposed? Since internal combustion occurs either way, the effect on auto mechanics is nil.

Its the same thing with evolution and philosophy of consciousness. Whatever we suppose about consciousness, the genetics of reproduction continue to work the same way in humans and bacteria equally.

Nereid said:

Because you have a theory that explains life development and you still ask this question.

Also, I've seen from experience that once someone resorts to asking that question(that they obviously know the answer to), they're about to use the hard problem of consciousness to deny it's relevance. It is a scientific box in a philosophy forum. And I've already been down that road in other threads.

Nereid said:
He's resting MY case actually...since the language and assumptions in each area are different, one field cannot necessarily speak to the concerns of the other.

Zero said:
This isn't about a personal issue of mine...it is about trying to explain things with incoherent terminology. "Magic fairy dust" has as much meaning(from a practical, scientific standpoint) as "soul" or "spirit". Seeing as all three of them are undetected, unmeasured, and unknowable(again, from the scientific standpoint), they are equal terms. What Canute seems to be describing is something that is non-material; yet the situation he is describing seems to resemble pure materialism, except that he claims some non-material thing is necessary. Anyhoo, we don't need to get into that here.

But no one has mentioned the words soul, spirit, or non-material. These are pre-occupations that get assigned to anyone who doesn't pass some standard in your brain. They don't necessarily apply to anyone here. That's why I said "strawman".

Let's say you are an auto mechanic. Your field necessitates understanding how the parts of an engine go together, how to figure out what breaks and how to fix it. The fact that the engine works on certain principles of thermodynamics and chemistry is only secondary. So, what happens if there is a new revolution in quantum mechanics that says that the building blocks of reality are different from what we have supposed? Since internal combustion occurs either way, the effect on auto mechanics is nil.

Its the same thing with evolution and philosophy of consciousness. Whatever we suppose about consciousness, the genetics of reproduction continue to work the same way in humans and bacteria equally.

Thanks for this analogy. It is helpful. I do see one difference however. It may be based on a misconception on my part so let me know if that's the case. The difference I see is that the overall objective of an auto mechanic and a quantum scientist is different. An auto mechanic has a simple pragmatic interest in getting the automobile running. He doesn't care about truth. The quantum scientists, however, is interested in how things actually work. Is this not true? What we're talking about here in this thread is 2 different areas of study for the purposes of understanding how things actually work. So why should they have inconsistencies? Are we saying that evolution is good for only pragmatic reasons and isn't interested in how life actually developed(with all features intact)?

Last edited:
I'm going to disagree with you slightly, as I'm sure you knew I would. Science is in the business of explaining observable, measured, repeatable phenomena, in general. Since whatever Canute is describing seems to fall outside that standard, science doesn't seem to have anything to say on the subject, pro or con. What Canute seemed to be describing was something in addition to the measured activity of the brain, apart from it.(If I'm wrong I appologise) If that "something else" is non-physical, then it cannot be addressed by science.

None of that invalidates or attacks philosophy. Kepp on making assumptions and following them to their logical ends...and when you've got something science can work with, give them a call.*grins*

Or, to put it another way: Philosophers are to scientists what scientists are to engineers...

...and this discussion reminds me of what happens when engineers think they've got a scientific problem licked...check Theory Development for the outcome!

Fliption said:
Because you have a theory that explains life development and you still ask this question.

Also, I've seen from experience that once someone resorts to asking that question(that they obviously know the answer to), they're about to use the hard problem of consciousness to deny it's relevance. It is a scientific box in a philosophy forum. And I've already been down that road in other threads.
With respect, you and I haven't discussed anything here at PF before (my memory isn't perfect, so maybe we have and I've forgotten).

How do you know that *I* "obviously know the answer" to the questions that I asked?

BTW, I tend to agree with you about science and philosophy (well, making some no doubt quite unwarranted assumptions about what you may mean), but it's good to take a look at the landscape every now and then, esp re 'consciousness'.

Canute wrote: *SNIP
yet the Copenhagen Interpretation of QM implies that the existence of the universe depends on the existence of conscious observers ...
I missed this earlier. I'm going to have to and check, but IIRC, it's not the existence of 'conscious' observers, but *any* 'observer' - for example, a videocamera will do (or a 'zombie', whatever that is).

Nereid said:
Canute:Because we can't measure it, we *can't* take it into account.
In that case subjective experiences. pain and so on, can't be taken into accout in any scientific theory. Not much chance of them being scientifically explained then.

What is 'altruism'? What is 'conscious awareness'?
Best do a search. I'm not the best person to explain.

I am not following you; neuroscience isn't advancing? the relationship between what the brain does - 'computation' (your word) - and experience isn't becoming better understood?
Yep, all that. No progress yet, although it's promised for the future.

No matter how much neuroscience we do, the relationship between computation and experience will forever by a mystery?
That's not clear. Certainly neuroscience won't clear up the mystery on its own, but it will no doubt contribute.

Canute said:
In that case subjective experiences. pain and so on, can't be taken into accout in any scientific theory. Not much chance of them being scientifically explained then. .
Here's that unfounded, unsupported, absolute statement again. Tell the truth; it isn't that science can't or doesn't explain it, it is that you find the answer unsatisfying. Mentat has been explaining it for years.

Nereid said:
Which 'orthodox scientists' view 'consciousness as non-causal'?
Physicalism and physical determinism entail that consciousness is non-causal. ess is All of them. This is one of the big areas of debate.

Which facts need to be faced?
The fact that consciousness exists but science can't prove it.

Do eukaryotes, other than homo sap., exhibit behaviour that Canute would describe as 'altruism'? If so, does Canute infer/assume/whatever that all such behaviour is, without qualification, evidence for 'consciousness' in such organisms?
I have made no argument for conscious eukaryotes. (Yet). We're talking about human beings.

Zero said:
The problem with this is, if I understand Canute's point, is while instinct will mimic human behavior, humans also have a "magical fairy dust" which allows us to be conscious. The "magical fairy dust" only exists in those species with developed minds, and if your brain is damaged, you get less "magic fairy dust". Whenever something physical happens to your brain, the difference in your personality or intelligence is not due to the physical, but due to your brain affecting the "magic fairy dust".

In other words, while the brain behaves exactly like there is actually NO "magic fairy dust", the "magic fairy dust is necessary, because otherwise humans can't live after death, and there might not be a "God", and the supernaturalists won't know where morals come from.
Don't be so ridiculous. Are you on something? If you can't have a sensible discussion then let people like Neried do it, who I don't agree with but who is is at least is dealing with the issues.

Canute said:
Don't be so ridiculous. Are you on something? If you can't have a sensible discussion then let people like Neried do it, who I don't agree with but who is is at least is dealing with the issues.
Instead of hurling invective, show me where I misstated your position. As I said earlier, if it is an incorrect view of your position, I'm sorry. But, if I am wrong, you should do me the courtesy of showing me WHERE I am wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Nereid said:
I missed this earlier. I'm going to have to and check, but IIRC, it's not the existence of 'conscious' observers, but *any* 'observer' - for example, a videocamera will do (or a 'zombie', whatever that is).
I think you'll find it has to be a conscious observer. John Wheeler goes so far as to suggest that the universe exists only by virtue of being observed, right back to the Big Bang. What is more experiments show that electron states never change if they are continually observed, even when they are excited to above stable levels they do not fall back while being observed by a conscious observer.

Canute said:
I think you'll find it has to be a conscious observer. John Wheeler goes so far as to suggest that the universe exists only by virtue of being observed, right back to the Big Bang. What is more experiments show that electron states never change if they are continually observed, even when they are excited to above stable levels they do not fall back while being observed by a conscious observer.
I think very few QM folks believe an observer has to be conscious...but you see how quickly this conversation leaves the discipline of evolutionary biology?

Zero said:
Instead of hurling invective, show me where I misstated your position. As I said earlier, if it is an incorrect view of your position, I'm sorry. But, if I am wrong, you should do me the courtesy of showing me WHERE I am wrong.

Thanks in advance.
If you'll let up with the accusations of insanity I might do that. I'd rather discuss it. Try reading my posts. If that doesn't work I'll answer questions. But one thing, don't assume everyone who disagrees with you is wrong. You have to show that they are wrong or back off.

Zero said:
I think very few QM folks believe an observer has to be conscious...but you see how quickly this conversation leaves the discipline of evolutionary biology?
Of course it does. What we're arguing about is whether it should. Anyway, I'm happy to talk evolutionary biology whenever you want to start.

Canute said:
If you'll let up with the accusations of insanity I might do that. I'd rather discuss it. Try reading my posts. If that doesn't work I'll answer questions. But one thing, don't assume everyone who disagrees with you is wrong. You have to show that they are wrong or back off.
Another confusion on your part...you have to show you are right, and for teh right reasons...but that's neither here nor there.

I said, in reference to your ideas:

Which part of this is incorrect, and would you be kind enough to explain why?

Zero said:
I'm going to disagree with you slightly, as I'm sure you knew I would. Science is in the business of explaining observable, measured, repeatable phenomena, in general. Since whatever Canute is describing seems to fall outside that standard, science doesn't seem to have anything to say on the subject, pro or con. What Canute seemed to be describing was something in addition to the measured activity of the brain, apart from it.(If I'm wrong I appologise) If that "something else" is non-physical, then it cannot be addressed by science.

None of that invalidates or attacks philosophy. Kepp on making assumptions and following them to their logical ends...and when you've got something science can work with, give them a call.*grins*

That science is in the business of explaining observable, measured, repeatable phenomenon is "how" science goes about acheiving it's goal. The goal being to acquire knowledge about how things actually work. Am I off here?

I think I see your view on this topic more clearly now. But don't you think that from a philosophical perspective, not a scientific one, there is additional room to admit that something is missing in a theory that doesn't acccount for some major features? The question I like to ask is "If you had to bet your money on what truth is, what would you bet on?" Wouldn't you step into a philosphical box and take a big picture look at everything before you made the bet?

Canute said:
Of course it does. What we're arguing about is whether it should. Anyway, I'm happy to talk evolutionary biology whenever you want to start.
OK, go ahead...I'm waiting! :smile:

Zero said:
Here's that unfounded, unsupported, absolute statement again. Tell the truth; it isn't that science can't or doesn't explain it, it is that you find the answer unsatisfying. Mentat has been explaining it for years.

Now wait a minute. Earlier you said:

"science doesn't seem to have anything to say on the subject, pro or con."

Now you're saying that Mentat has it all figured out. Have I crossed wires somewhere?

BTW, Mentat's explanation of this shows a lack of understanding for the issue. That explanation is almost ridiculous. I wouldn't put my eggs in that basket.

Fliption said:
That science is in the business of explaining observable, measured, repeatable phenomenon is "how" science goes about acheiving it's goal. The goal being to acquire knowledge about how things actually work. Am I off here?

I think I see your view on this topic more clearly now. But don't you think that from a philosophical perspective, not a scientific one, there is additional room to admit that something is missing in a theory that doesn't acccount for some major features? The question I like to ask is "If you had to bet your money on what truth is, what would you bet on?" Wouldn't you step into a philosphical box and take a big picture look at everything before you made the bet?
Well, that's a whole other thing, isn't it? If I am stating an opinion or gut feeling, I should label it as such. If I am stating a philosophical postion, I must also qualify it that way. If I am making a scientific pronouncement, the standards are again different, and rightly so.

For instance, my opinion is that a metaphysical view of consciousness is bollocks. My logical viewpoint is that it is possible, but currently neither logically supported nor backed up by solid evidence. My opinion is absolute, but my more rational-based philosophical statement is more uncertain. From a purely scientific standpoint, I must demand that no statement can be made about those aspects of consciousness which some philosophies embrace, yet have no measurable evidence to back them up. In other words, science has to take a backseat to philosophy is certain areas, and philosophers can only suggest avenues of inquiry for scientists.

Fliption said:
Now wait a minute. Earlier you said:

"science doesn't seem to have anything to say on the subject, pro or con."

Now you're saying that Mentat has it all figured out. Have I crossed wires somewhere?

BTW, Mentat's explanation of this shows a lack of understanding for the issue. That explanation is almost ridiculous. I wouldn't put my eggs in that basket.
Mentat shows good insight on the issue...but his viewpoint, again, is unsatisfying to you. However, his viewpoint is as much philisophical as scientific, no matter how reasonable his scientific viewpoint may be.

Read my last post for more clarification of my reasoning.

Zero said:
For instance, my opinion is that a metaphysical view of consciousness is bollocks.
What is the 'metaphysical view of consciousness'?

My logical viewpoint is that it is possible, but currently neither logically supported nor backed up by solid evidence. My opinion is absolute, but my more rational-based philosophical statement is more uncertain.
So you don't know but your opinion is absolute.

From a purely scientific standpoint, I must demand that no statement can be made about those aspects of consciousness which some philosophies embrace, yet have no measurable evidence to back them up. In other words, science has to take a backseat to philosophy is certain areas, and philosophers can only suggest avenues of inquiry for scientists.
You misjudge the relationship between science and philosophy, They are not different things, each in their little box.

“It is difficult to decide where science ends and mysticism begins. As soon as we begin to make even the most elementary theories we are open to the charge of indulging in metaphysics. Yet theories, however provisional, are the very lifeblood of scientific progress. We simply cannot escape metaphysics, though we can perhaps over-indulge, as well as have too little.”
Banesh Hoffmann – The Strange Story of the Quantum (Penguin 1968)

You seem to be saying that evoutionary biology can safely assume that consciousness does not exist because consciousness is a philosophical problem. Is that about right?

Zero said:
Mentat shows good insight on the issue...but his viewpoint, again, is unsatisfying to you. However, his viewpoint is as much philisophical as scientific, no matter how reasonable his scientific viewpoint may be.

Read my last post for more clarification of my reasoning.
You should listen to Fliption, he knows what he's talking about. Mentat has not (as yet) grasped the issues. No reason why he should have done of course, but they are all laid out in the scientific literature online for anyone who's interested.

Canute said:
*SNIP
I have made no argument for conscious eukaryotes. (Yet). We're talking about human beings.
Er, human beings are eukaryotes

Canute said:
So you don't know but your opinion is absolute.

[/b]
As absolute as my opinion on the best flavor of Jello(lime) and my favorite beer(Guinness)...and as useful for rational debate.

You seem to be saying that evoutionary biology can safely assume that consciousness does not exist because consciousness is a philosophical problem. Is that about right?

Depends on which aspect of evolution we are talking about...if we are talking straight genetics, then absolutely. If we are talking the psychological or behavioral areas, then no. Even then, however, they can only concern themselves with physical, biological elements...any sort of "external" source of consciousness can safely be excluded, since it is an unproven and unprovable(thus far) concept.

I'm still waiting for your correction of my statement that seemed to offend you...

Canute said:
You should listen to Fliption, he knows what he's talking about. Mentat has not (as yet) grasped the issues. No reason why he should have done of course, but they are all laid out in the scientific literature online for anyone who's interested.
*yawn* You assume your conclusion in your premise, you have nothing for him to grasp. That's a different thread, discuss it there.

Fliption said:

I see your point, but I don’t think scientists studying evolution have ever pretended that the information they have is 100% conclusive. Since it is impossible to know if “consciousness” had an effect on evolution or not, how can we expect scientists to include this information in their evaluation? It’s not possible, they could do no more than make wild guesses. I don't see the value in that.

Evo said:
I see your point, but I don’t think scientists studying evolution have ever pretended that the information they have is 100% conclusive. Since it is impossible to know if “consciousness” had an effect on evolution or not, how can we expect scientists to include this information in their evaluation? It’s not possible, they could do no more than make wild guesses. I don't see the value in that.

I don't have an argument against that specifically except that many science types do indeed act as if their pet theories are 100% certain. The attitude that is demonstrated by some(not you) in these very forums to opposing views can't possibly be coming from one who acknowledges potential theory gaps. For some, there is even hostility at the idea of thinking about the issues philosophically.

Zero said:
As absolute as my opinion on the best flavor of Jello(lime) and my favorite beer(Guinness)...and as useful for rational debate.
Yes.

Depends on which aspect of evolution we are talking about...if we are talking straight genetics, then absolutely. If we are talking the psychological or behavioral areas, then no.
Are you suggesting that consciousness affects behaviour?

Even then, however, they can only concern themselves with physical, biological elements...any sort of "external" source of consciousness can safely be excluded, since it is an unproven and unprovable(thus far) concept.
I don;t know what you mean by 'external' source. Did you think I was arguing for God or something?

I'm still waiting for your correction of my statement that seemed to offend you...
C'mon. You've been calling me a fool since I arrived and never addressed a single issue in my posts. I think you were too quick off the mark.

A question to get back to the issues. Did consciousness evolve or not in your opinion?

Nereid said:
Er, human beings are eukaryotes
Human beings are all eukaryotes but not all eukaryotes are human beings. I'm sticking to human beings for now.