1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two convergent sequences

1. Nov 4, 2012 #1
    Let x_n and y_n be two convergent sequences with different limits. Show that the set {x_n : n€N} n {y_n : n€N} is finite.

Attempt: by definition, for each £>0 there exists an N such that |x_n - x|<£ and similarly |y_n - y|<£ holds for every n with n>N. Take £=(x-y)/3 and assume that x_n and y_n are equal for a while. Call N_1 the number which satisfies |x_n - x|<(x-y)/3 and call N_2 which satisfies |y_n - y|<(x-y)/3. Put N=max(N_1,N_2). So after that N, the distance between x_n and y_n is minimum (x-y)/3. Hence there are only N many elements of the set. Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2012 #2
    I think I should have assumed the contrapositive, which is actually equivalent to what I did, right?

4. Nov 4, 2012 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's basically right but there are a couple of inaccuracies along the way.
    ε=(x-y)/3
    ε needs to be guaranteed > 0.
    Call N_1 the number which
    N_1 does not appear in the expression which follows. Need a 'for all' in there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook