1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two different molecules from SN1?

1. Jul 23, 2014 #1
    (1s,4s)-4-(tert-butyl)-1-methylcyclohexan-1-ol
    (1r,4r)-4-(tert-butyl)-1-methylcyclohexan-1-ol
    These are the two results given by the solution's manual textbook to this question:
    Keeping in mind that carbocations have a trigonal planar structure, (a) write a structure for the carbocation intermediate and (b) write structures for the alcohol (or alcohols) that you would expect from reaction of iodocyclohexane in water.

Now, I want to understand why there are two molecules that are different. Both of them seem to be achiral because of the plane of symettry along carbon 1 and 4. Why are the "r" and "s" not capitalized?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2014 #2
    Yeah I looked over this yesterday, I was just too befuddled to reply. There are no chiral centers because the tert-butyl group experiences free rotation and because the compound is the same, whether the hydroxy or the methyl group lies on a wedge/dashes. If it is difficult to visualize in your head, you can always test this by drawing a Newman projection and rotating the front and back to see if there are indeed different compounds if you switch the position of the wedge/dashes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted