1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two-Dimension motion

1. Oct 18, 2009 #1

NRP

I have some question. Can you please help me to make me understand.

1. identify three or more instances of symmetry in its motion. Provide an explanation for each instance.

2. what does a (horizontal component) velocity-time graph look like for projectile

3. what does a (vertical component) velocity-time graph look like for projectile

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2009 #2

lewando

Gold Member

Happy to help. Let's start with: do you understand symmetry?

4. Oct 18, 2009 #3

NRP

yes i do..

5. Oct 18, 2009 #4

lewando

Gold Member

Good. Is your original question complete? There are a couple references to "its motion" and "projectile". Is there a a picture or drawing related to this question?

6. Oct 18, 2009 #5

NRP

No there is no drawing to this question

7. Oct 18, 2009 #6

lewando

Gold Member

Okay, so we are free do discuss symmetry as it relates to any kind of projectile motion we can imagine. Please tell me what kinds of symmetry are you familiar with, so we can relate it to projectile motion.

8. Oct 18, 2009 #7

NRP

motion along x axis independent of motion along y axis

9. Oct 18, 2009 #8

lewando

Gold Member

I was you would be familir with a type of symmetry--like reflection (mirror) symmetry. Yes?

10. Oct 18, 2009 #9

NRP

ya....

11. Oct 18, 2009 #10

lewando

Gold Member

Good. In your studies of projectile motion, have you encountered a situation where a projectile was launched (upwards, from the surface of the earth) with some initial velocity (speed and angle)? Assuming no air resistance, do you know what kind of shape this trajectory makes (either altitude as a function of horizontal distance, or altitude as a function of time)?

12. Oct 18, 2009 #11

NRP

I don't understand..

13. Oct 18, 2009 #12

lewando

Gold Member

I said before that I was happy to help--I still am. But now you have to help me. Can you elaborate on what, specifically, don't you understand?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook