Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two dimensional Cauchy problems

1. Oct 24, 2013 #1
    Let y(t) = (y1(t), y2(t))^T and
    A(t) = (a(t) b(t)
    c(t) d(t)).

A(t) is a 2x2 matrix with a,b,c,d all polynomials in t. Consider the two dimensional Cauchy problem y'(t) = A(t)y(t), y(0)=y0.
    Show that a solution exists for all t>=0.
    Give a general condition on the A(t) which ensures global existence.

Please could you help me with this question - I don't know what to do. I need to use Picard somewhere I think but I don't know how to go about it.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, you know the name "Picard" so I presume you have seen the proof- probably for one dimension. Do exactly the same thing: dy/dt= Ay. Convert that to an integral equation by integrating both sides: [itex]y= A\int_0^x y(t) dt[/itex]. Think of that as a "linear transformation", [itex]T(y)= A\int_0^x y(t)dt[/itex] and, just as in the regular "Picard theorem", show that, under restrictions on the domain, that is a "contraction mapping".

4. Nov 1, 2013 #3
    Can you take the matrix out of the integral even though its entries are polynomials in t?

5. Nov 1, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are right. I ignored the fact that entries are functions of t. It should be [tex]y= \int_0^x A(t)y(t)dt[/tex] and [tex]T(y)= \int_0^x A(t)y(t)dt[/tex].

6. Nov 1, 2013 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

For a general initial condition [itex]\vec{y}(0)=\vec{y}_0[/itex] the integral equation reads
    [tex]\vec{y}(t)=\vec{y}_0+\int_0^t \mathrm{d} t' \hat{A}(t') \vec{y}(t').[/tex]
    Now you can solve the problem easily by iteration. It's important to keep in mind that in general the matrices [itex]\hat{A}(t)[/itex] do not commute at different times!

7. Nov 1, 2013 #6
    Would you mind going into a little more depth about how you'd modify the Picard's theorem proof here? I'm a little confused as the version I've seen is really long.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook