Two-D Gas: Entropy Calculation & Temperature/Chemical Potential

• Thread starter Sojourner01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas
In summary, a Two-D Gas is a type of ideal gas that is confined to a two-dimensional space and is often used in theoretical models. Entropy in a Two-D Gas can be calculated using the Boltzmann formula and is directly related to temperature. Chemical potential in a Two-D Gas can be calculated using the Gibbs-Duhem equation and is affected by temperature, entropy, and the number of particles in the system. Changes in these factors can also affect the entropy and chemical potential of a Two-D Gas, ultimately impacting its behavior and equilibrium state.
Sojourner01
"The entropy of a two-dimensional gas of N particles in an area A of energy U is given by:

[tex]S=Nk[ln \frac{A}{N} + ln \frac{mU]{2 \pi \hbar^2 N} +2][/tex]

Calculate the temperature of tge gas and the chemical potential."

I have absolutely no idea how to even begin. There was some bit of some previous lectures that used the clausius entropy principle to derive some partial differentials expressing different parameters in terms of entropy, but other than that, I'm lost. The two-dimensional bit is even more confusing. I gather that this affects the number of degrees of freedom, but how one goes about modifying the theory to aco**** for this, I have no clue.

edit: gah. I have no idea how the tex formatting screwed up. I've done it, as far as I can see, exactly how the help topic says.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You got all the slashes inverted. make the substitution / --> \ and it should work

This is extremely frustrating. The code has been changed but the forum isn't updating the graphic. I'll post it again.

[tex]S=Nk[ln \frac{A}{N} + ln \frac{mU]{2 \pi \hbar^2 N} +2][/tex]

[tex]S=Nk\left[ \ln \left(\frac{A}{N}\right) + \ln \left(\frac{mU}{2 \pi \hbar^2 N}\right) +2\right][/tex]

strange about non-updating graphic. it's the first time I see this happening.

Thanks.

After all that, I believe I've worked out the problem using something I dug out of Carrington's Basic Thermodynamics.

Supposedly, temperature in an isolated 'fluid' is simply equal to [tex](\frac{\partial U}{\partial S}})_V,N

The expression for the entropy (as function of the number of particles N, energy U, and volume V) will allow you to calculate the affinity [itex]\alpha[/itex], the inverse temperature [itex]\beta[/itex] and the free expansion coefficient [itex]\gamma[/itex]:
[tex]\frac{\partial S}{\partial N}=\alpha[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial S}{\partial U}=\beta[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}=\gamma[/tex]

You just need to know [tex]\beta=1/kT[/tex]

Last edited:
Mistake in the equation

quasar987 said:
[tex]S=Nk\left[ \ln \left(\frac{A}{N}\right) + \ln \left(\frac{mU}{2 \pi \hbar^2 N}\right) +2\right][/tex]

strange about non-updating graphic. it's the first time I see this happening.

It is probably too late, but I am quite sure that the equation should look like this:

][tex]S=Nk\left[ \ln \left(\frac{A}{N}\right) + \ln \left(\frac{2\pi mU}{\hbar^2 N}\right) +2\right][/tex]

1. What is a Two-D Gas?

A Two-D Gas is a type of ideal gas that is confined to a two-dimensional space, meaning it can only move along two axes. This is in contrast to a three-dimensional gas, which can move along three axes. Two-D gases are often used in theoretical models to study the behavior of real gases.

2. How is Entropy Calculated in a Two-D Gas?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. In a two-D gas, entropy can be calculated by using the Boltzmann formula, which takes into account the number of microstates (possible arrangements of particles) and the number of particles in the system. The higher the number of microstates, the higher the entropy of the two-D gas.

3. What is the Relationship between Temperature and Entropy in a Two-D Gas?

In a Two-D gas, temperature and entropy are directly related. As the temperature increases, the particles in the gas gain more energy and move around more, increasing the number of microstates and thus increasing the entropy. Conversely, as the temperature decreases, the particles have less energy and move around less, leading to a decrease in entropy.

4. How is Chemical Potential Calculated in a Two-D Gas?

Chemical potential is a measure of the energy required to add or remove a particle from a system. In a two-D gas, chemical potential can be calculated using the Gibbs-Duhem equation, which takes into account the temperature, entropy, and number of particles in the system. It is an important parameter in understanding the behavior of two-D gases, as it can affect the equilibrium state of a system.

5. What Factors Can Affect the Entropy and Chemical Potential of a Two-D Gas?

The entropy and chemical potential of a two-D gas can be affected by a variety of factors. These include temperature, pressure, and the number of particles in the system. Changes in these parameters can lead to changes in the entropy and chemical potential, which in turn can affect the overall behavior and equilibrium state of the two-D gas.