1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Dimensional Impulse

1. Nov 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

an object with a mass of 5.0 kg is moving 4.0m/s north when an impulse of 30Ns 45 deg N of W is applied to it. what is its new velocity?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand the process until solving for the angle. Why does the 30Ns vector get flipped?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

We can't tell what's puzzling you unless you post the actual steps in the working and indicate what you consider to be the flip.

4. Nov 2, 2014 #3
    I drew the two vectors how they were given and solved for the resultant and the angle using cos law and sine law. But, in the answer key, the 30Ns vector was drawn reversed resulting in a different angle. Why is this?

5. Nov 2, 2014 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I still can't tell whether it is you or the answer key that has it backwards. Can you describe in words how you interpreted the given direction?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted