1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two-Dimensional Kinematics, Projectile

1. Apr 11, 2005 #1
    Q. At t = 0, an object is projected with a speed v0 = 30 m/s at an angle q0 = 30° above the horizontal. The axes on the diagram show the x and y directions that are to be considered positive.

For parts a-g, calculate the requested quantities at t = 10 s into the flight. ( Use 9.81 m/sec2 for g. )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    a) The vertical acceleration of the object:
    ay = m/s2 *

HELP: What force is acting on the object in the vertical direction?
    HELP: Is it moving faster or slower as it travels upward?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    b) Its horizontal acceleration:
    ax = m/s2 *
    0 OK

c) Its vertical velocity:
    vy = m/s *
    -83.1 OK

HELP: Use the definition of acceleration.

d) Its horizontal velocity:
    vx = m/s *
    25.98 OK

e) The angle to the horizontal at which the object is traveling (an angle above the horizontal should be reported as a positive number; an angle below the horizontal should be reported as a negative number). Please give your answer in degrees:
    angle = ° *
    -72.59 OK

f) Its vertical displacement, from where it started:
    y = m *
    -340.5 OK

HELP: Look at the equations in your book.
    HELP: Look for an equation relating initial velocity, change in position, acceleration, and time. Use your previous answers.

g) Its horizontal displacement, from where it started:
    x = m *
    259.8 OK

h) At what time does the object reach its maximum height?
    ty, max = s
    2*83.1*sin(72.59)/9.81 NO

I just need some help with part h.

At the max, height final velocity is zero, I know that

I tried using t = v_y/g

and plugging this into

y-yo = v0sintheta*t - 1/2 g* t^2

didn't work!

Pl. Help

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2005 #2
    I tried using t = v_y/g isnt right.

For an object under constant acceleration with no initial velocity it takes

[tex] t = \sqrt{\frac{2d}{g}}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?