Two Dimensional Kinematics of an electron

Can you post the entire problem, word for word, exactly as it was given to you?In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the vertical displacement of an electron in a cathode-ray tube when given its initial horizontal velocity and the upward acceleration it experiences from deflection plates. The problem also asks for the time it takes for the electron to cover a horizontal distance of 6.10 cm. The original problem is incomplete and further information is needed to solve it accurately.
chloe99

Homework Statement

An electron in a cathode-ray tube is traveling horizontally at 2.60×109 cm/s when deflection plates give it an upward acceleration of 5.90×1017 cm/s^2.What is its vertical displacement during this time?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got this one but other than that I am so lost How long does it take for the electron to cover a horizontal distance of 6.10 cm? t =2.35×10^-9s

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did the 6.10 cm come from?

It was given to me in the original problem.

Wait, I'm confused. I don't see it in the problem you posted.

In fact, the problem as you posted it is incomplete. It talks about "vertical displacement during this time" but there's no time given. Why don't you post the problem again but make sure to include the whole thing this time :wink:

Oops...I am sorry about that.

An electron in a cathode-ray tube is traveling horizontally at 2.60×109 cm/s when deflection plates give it an upward acceleration of 5.90×1017 cm/s^2. What is its vertical displacement during this time?

chloe99 said:
Oops...I am sorry about that.

An electron in a cathode-ray tube is traveling horizontally at 2.60×109 cm/s when deflection plates give it an upward acceleration of 5.90×1017 cm/s^2. What is its vertical displacement during this time?
Isn't that the same thing you posted before, though?

Sorry to not be helpful, but I'm really confused by what you're posting.

1. What is Two Dimensional Kinematics?

Two Dimensional Kinematics is the study of motion in two dimensions, typically represented by x and y coordinates. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in both the x and y directions. In the case of an electron, this refers to its movement in two-dimensional space.

2. How does an electron move in two dimensions?

An electron moves in two dimensions in a curved path due to the presence of a magnetic field. This is because the electron is negatively charged and is affected by the Lorentz force, which causes it to experience a perpendicular force to both its velocity and the magnetic field.

3. What is the difference between linear and angular velocity?

Linear velocity refers to the rate of change of an object's position in a straight line, while angular velocity refers to the rate of change of an object's angular position around a fixed point. In the case of an electron's two-dimensional kinematics, both linear and angular velocity may need to be considered depending on the shape of its path.

4. How does the acceleration of an electron affect its motion in two dimensions?

The acceleration of an electron in two-dimensional kinematics is affected by both its initial velocity and the strength of the magnetic field it is moving through. The acceleration of the electron can change its direction and magnitude, causing it to move in a curved path.

5. Can the two-dimensional kinematics of an electron be applied to other objects?

Yes, the principles of two-dimensional kinematics can be applied to any object that moves in two dimensions, regardless of its size or composition. This includes objects such as projectiles, satellites, and even large celestial bodies like planets and stars.