1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Dimensional Kinematics

1. Jul 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An electron in a cathode-ray tube is traveling horizontally at 2.60×109 cm/s when deflection plates give it an upward acceleration of 5.90×1017 cm/s^2.What is its vertical displacement during this time?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got this one but other than that I am so lost How long does it take for the electron to cover a horizontal distance of 6.10 cm? t =2.35×10^-9s

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2009 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

Where did the 6.10 cm come from?

4. Jul 10, 2009 #3
    It was given to me in the original problem.

5. Jul 10, 2009 #4

diazona

Homework Helper

Wait, I'm confused. I don't see it in the problem you posted.

In fact, the problem as you posted it is incomplete. It talks about "vertical displacement during this time" but there's no time given. Why don't you post the problem again but make sure to include the whole thing this time :wink:

6. Jul 10, 2009 #5
    Oops...I am sorry about that.

An electron in a cathode-ray tube is traveling horizontally at 2.60×109 cm/s when deflection plates give it an upward acceleration of 5.90×1017 cm/s^2. What is its vertical displacement during this time?

7. Jul 10, 2009 #6

diazona

Homework Helper

Isn't that the same thing you posted before, though?

Sorry to not be helpful, but I'm really confused by what you're posting.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook