1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two dimensional kinematics

1. Oct 17, 2009 #1
    An athlete throws a basketball upward from the ground, giving it speed 9.7 m/s at an angle of 64.0° above the horizontal.

(a) What is the acceleration of the basketball at the highest point in its trajectory?
    m/s2

(b) On its way down, the basketball hits the rim of the basket, 3.05 m above the floor. It bounces straight up with one-half the speed with which it hit the rim. What height above the floor does the basketball reach on this bounce?

(a) is -9.8m/s2.

For (b) I found the time when the ball hits the rim 1.3s. Then I found the final velocity -3.04m/s and divided by 2 to get -1.52m/s which is the initial velocity of the ball when it bounces straight up vertically from the rim.

I am lost at where to go now and need help with solving (b).

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Your time is correct.
    Check the calculation of the vertical component of the velocity at that time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook