1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two-dimensional Kinematics

1. Apr 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A stunt driver wants to make his car jump over 8 cars parked side by side below a horizontal ramp (Fig. 3–41). (a) With what minimum speed must he drive off the horizontal ramp? The vertical height of the ramp is 1.5 m above the cars and the horizontal distance he must clear is 22 m. (b) If the ramp is now tilted upward, so that “takeoff angle” is 7.0° above the horizontal, what is the new minimum speed?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]y=y_0+v_0t+.5at^2[/tex]
    [tex]v^2=v_0^2+2a(y-y_0)[/tex]
    [tex]x=v_0t[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The answer to part a is obviously 40m/s, but the answer to b eludes me.

I need v, so I defined v_x in terms of v via the kinematic equation [tex]x=v_0t[/tex]

and then solved it for t

[tex]22=tcos\theta[/tex]

[tex]t=\frac{22}{vcos\theta}[/tex]

However, when I attempt to do this with v_y, I end up with a nasty quadratic

[tex]-4.9t^2+tvsin\theta+1.5=0[/tex]

and solving this for t does not seem to be advisable.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2014 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, ciubba. Welcome to PF !

Why do you consider that quadratic equation to be nasty ?

You know that θ = 7° . Right ?

You should probably solve the other equation for t, in terms of v, then substitute that back into the quadratic, so there's only one variable.

4. Apr 25, 2014 #3
    I can't believe that never occurred to me-- I was going to solve them both for t, then set them equal to each other.

The answer is 23.88, which rounds to 24m/s with significant digits. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted