Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Two dimensional momentum

1. Dec 25, 2003 #1
    I have a problem with this question,

1. Two rolling golf balls of the same mass collide. The velocity of one ball is initially 2 m/s [E] After the collision, the velocities of the balls are 2.49 m/s [62.8° North of West] and 2.37 m/s [69.2° South Of East]. What are the magnitude and direction of the unknown velocity?

Basicall I did:

For x component:

V1 + V2 = V1'cos(180°-62.8°) + V2'cos(360°-69.2°)

I solved for V2

I did the same for the y component then I took the x and y component values and did the pythagoras theorem to get the angle and value...The value at the back of the book is 3 m/s and moving W for the initial velocity of the other ball...My answer was 4.7 m/s [20° South of West]

Whats my mistake?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2003 #2

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You certainly have the right idea. If you show more work I might be able to tell you where the problem is.

4. Dec 26, 2003 #3
    I've got two answers and one of them is at the back of book. How do I know which ball moves where?

5. Dec 26, 2003 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Are you assuming conservation of energy (perfectly elastic collision)? If so you can use V12+ V22= V1'2+ V2'2.

6. Dec 26, 2003 #5

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not necessary here.
    He's got two unknowns, and two equations from conservation of momentum. The only unknowns are the x and y components of one ball's inital velocity, and the other inital and both of the final velocities are given.

7. Dec 26, 2003 #6
    Im assuming its a perfectly elastic collision since its two golf balls

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook