1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two dimensional motion help

1. Sep 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A sailboat runs before the wind with a constant speed of 1.7 m/s in a dircetion 43.4 (degrees) north of west. how far west has the sailboat traveled in 35 min in km and how far north has the sailboat traveled in 35 min in km?

2. Relevant equations

i was using V=Vo + at to find the acceleration and than use x=1/2 at^2 + Vot + Xo to find the distance.

3. The attempt at a solution
    i drew it out and saw a triangle. so i thought you can use some trig to get the displacement and than i used the formulas above to find the distance, but i got the answer wrong. Am i doing this problem? can someone help me

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2009 #2
    There is no acceleration when you travel with constant speed.

4. Sep 6, 2009 #3
    so how would i solve the problem?

5. Sep 6, 2009 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use the equation that you posted with a = 0. Then you need to find the "west" and "north" components of the displacements vector. If that is what you did and the answer didn't come out, then you have to show us exactly what you did so that we can determine where you went wrong. It could be something silly like forgetting to convert 35 minutes to seconds or kilometers to meters.

6. Sep 6, 2009 #5
    which equation? the x=1/2at + Vot + Xo that one?

7. Sep 6, 2009 #6

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it becomes

x = x0 + v0xt in the y direction and
    y = y0 + v0yt n the y direction.

8. Sep 6, 2009 #7
    thanks for the help :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook