Two electric fields perpendicular to each other -- how?

In summary, the homework statement said that four point charges are placed at the corners of a square, and if q is 1μC then the electric field intensity at the center of the square will be 9 × 10^5.
gracy

Homework Statement

four point charges are placed at the corners of a square as shown in the figure having side 10 cm.If q is 1μC then what will be electric field intensity at the centre of the square?
square.png

Homework Equations

upload_2015-9-5_17-11-0.jpeg

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
Half of diagonal
a/√2
0.1/√2
Electric field due to charge "q"
=9 ×10^9 ×1×10^-6/(0.1/√2 )^2=18×10^5
But the thing I m not getting is
In the solution it has been given that at center there are two electric field which are perpendicular to each other.I want to know how?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't forget that electric field is a vector quantity, when you want to add several vectors you don't just add their magnitudes, right?
gracy said:
In the solution it has been given that at center there are two electric field which are perpendicular to each other.
It might refer to the vector components of the electric field at the center.

s.png

How the figure in question is transformed into the picture above!

Why is your second picture different than the first one? Which one is actually asked to you and what is it precisely that's asked?

gracy said:
View attachment 88246
Maybe they are thinking of using superposition as shown below.

Attachments

• superposition of charges.png
    superposition of charges.png
    3 KB · Views: 434
gracy said:
In the solution it has been given that at center there are two electric field which are perpendicular to each other.I want to know how?

I think We should assume a test charge (positive/negative)at center of square.I have taken positive charge.Now direction of force due to -q and -2q would be opposite and direction of force due to +q and +2g would also be opposite .And electric field would have same direction as force.So resultant direction of force(electric field ) would be directed towards B and A respectively.
squ.png

gracy said:

Now electric fields are in perpendicular direction.This was all about direction.For magnitude I think the electric field intensity (in second picture )would be because of -q and +q because -2q overcame -q after that -q is left similarly +2q overcame +q and is left with+q .

I don't know whether I am correct,waiting for your corrections of my work.

You don't have to assume a test charge as the force it experiences may be in opposite direction to the actual electric field at that point depending on the test charge's sign.
gracy said:
This was all about direction.For magnitude I think the electric field intensity (in second picture )would be because of -q and +q because -2q overcame -q after that -q is left similarly +2q overcame +q and is left with+q .
Your idea is exactly what the superposition principle facilitates, see comment #5.
However, you seemingly encounter a small misconception. It's true that you can assume that the -q part of -2q overcomes the other -q sitting in the opposite corner of the square. But then afterwards, we should have that the contributions from the two confronting -q's disappear. So, what value of charge is actually left and where?

blue_leaf77 said:
You don't have to assume a test charge as the force it experiences may be in opposite direction to the actual electric field at that point depending on the test charge's sign.
No.Think about placing negative charge there.

gracy said:
No.
What does this "no" imply?

The electric field vectors will still be perpendicular to each other.

The electric field vectors from each charge?
Yes, they will be.
But that doesn't guarantee the force it experiences to be in the same direction as the electric field at that place. Ok, if you feel easier to assume a test charge, just go this way so long as you keep in mind that the electrostatic force direction is dependent on the charge sign.

gracy said:
Sketch the lines of force between the +q and +2q charges with the pairs separated so they don't interact.
Then move them to the square configuration and add more lines of force from +q to -2q, and from -q to +2q.
I would agree that there is only one field at the center, which is the vector sum of two perpendicular fields.

blue_leaf77 said:
But that doesn't guarantee the force it experiences to be in the same direction as the electric field at that place.
yes.if the charge is negative Force and electric field are in opposite directions.This confirms my statement
gracy said:
I think We should assume a test charge (positive/negative)at center of square.
Both would give the same electric field as in second picture of my #6.

@TSny answer Please answer my post #6 is correct or not?

gracy said:
I think We should assume a test charge (positive/negative)at center of square.I have taken positive charge.Now direction of force due to -q and -2q would be opposite and direction of force due to +q and +2g would also be opposite .And electric field would have same direction as force.So resultant direction of force(electric field ) would be directed towards B and A respectively.
View attachment 88251Now electric fields are in perpendicular direction.This was all about direction.For magnitude I think the electric field intensity (in second picture )would be because of -q and +q because -2q overcame -q after that -q is left similarly +2q overcame +q and is left with+q .

I don't know whether I am correct,waiting for your corrections of my work.
You need the electric field at the centre of the square. It is the same as the force exerted on a unit positive charge.
The charges at the opposite vertices of the square act along the diagonal, and their force is opposite. So the resultant of the pairs are as drawn in figure 2, they are perpendicular.
I do not follow what you wrote about the magnitude. So what are the magnitude of both forces? And what is their resultant then?

ehild said:
I do not follow what you wrote about the magnitude
But you agree my views on direction part,right?

RES.png

Resultant force F(R) of forces(+2q,and q)would be Directed towards A and Resultant force F'(R) of forces(-2q,and -q) would be Directed towards B.Direction of electric field would be same as of force because I have assumed POSITIVE CHARGE to be at center of square.And magnitudes of electric field would be
E(R)=9 ×10^9 ×2×10^-6/(0.1/√2 )^2-9 ×10^9 ×1×10^-6/(0.1/√2 )^2
=9 ×10^9 ×1×10^-6/(0.1/√2 )^2
And magnitude of E(R)is same as of E'(R).

Last edited:
gracy said:
View attachment 88273
Resultant force F(R) of forces(+2q,and q)would be Directed towards A and Resultant force F'(R) of forces(-2q,and -q) would be Directed towards B.Direction of electric field would be same as of force because I have assumed POSITIVE CHARGE to be at center of square.And magnitudes of electric field would be
E(R)=9 ×10^9 ×2×10^-6/(0.1/√2 )^2-9 ×10^9 ×1×10^-6/(0.1/√2 )^2
=9 ×10^9 ×1×10^-6/(0.1/√2 )^2
And magnitude of E(R)is same as of E'(R).

Yes, and what is the resultant, direction and magnitude ?

electric field due to negative charge -Q
= - Q/4πϵ0r^2 or Q/4πϵ0r^2?

gracy said:
electric field due to negative charge -Q
= - Q/4πϵ0r^2 or Q/4πϵ0r^2?
You have shown the direction of the electric field of both the positive and the negative charges in #6. And the magnitude is always non-negative.

In general, the electric field of a point charge q is opposite to that of a point charge -q.

Last edited:
ehild said:
And the magnitude is always non-negative.
You mean if source charge is -Q
electric field due to negative charge -Q WOULD BE Q/4πϵ0r^2
i.e still positive !RIGHT?

gracy said:
You mean if source charge is -Q
electric field due to negative charge -Q WOULD BE Q/4πϵ0r^2
i.e still positive !RIGHT?
No. The electric field is a vector. It has magnitude and direction. If the charge is positive, the field points away from the source. If the charge is negative, the field point towards the source. According to Coulomb's Law, the formula for the electric field is the same for both positive and negative charges: ##\vec E= k\frac {Q}{|r|^3}\vec r ##

Likes gracy
gracy said:
@TSny answer Please answer my post #6 is correct or not?

gracy said:
I think We should assume a test charge (positive/negative)at center of square.I have taken positive charge.Now direction of force due to -q and -2q would be opposite and direction of force due to +q and +2g would also be opposite .
Yes.
And electric field would have same direction as force.
Yes, for a positive test charge.
So resultant direction of force(electric field ) would be directed towards B and A respectively.
Yes.
Now electric fields are in perpendicular direction.
Yes. Of course the net field at the center will be the vector sum of these two perpendicular fields.
.For magnitude I think the electric field intensity (in second picture )would be because of -q and +q because -2q overcame -q after that -q is left similarly +2q overcame +q and is left with+q
I'm not sure what you are saying here. The second picture is not equivalent to the first picture.

Likes gracy

1. How can two electric fields be perpendicular to each other?

Two electric fields can be perpendicular to each other if they are created by two separate sources, each with their own direction of electric field lines. This can occur when a positive and negative charge are placed near each other, or when two parallel conductors are carrying opposite charges.

2. What happens when two electric fields are perpendicular to each other?

When two electric fields are perpendicular to each other, the resulting field will be a combination of the two fields. This means that the direction and strength of the resulting field will be dependent on the individual strengths and directions of the two perpendicular fields.

3. Can two perpendicular electric fields cancel each other out?

Yes, two perpendicular electric fields can cancel each other out if they have equal magnitudes but opposite directions. This is known as destructive interference and can occur when two waves with opposite phases intersect.

4. How does the angle between two electric fields affect their resulting field?

The angle between two electric fields can greatly affect their resulting field. When the fields are perpendicular, the resulting field will be at its maximum strength. As the angle between the fields decreases, the resulting field will also decrease in strength until they become parallel, in which case the resulting field will be zero.

5. What are some applications of two perpendicular electric fields?

Two perpendicular electric fields have various applications in different fields such as electronics, optics, and electromagnetism. They are commonly used in devices like capacitors, antennas, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. They also play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves and their interactions with matter.