Two (equivalent?) integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses a discrepancy between two seemingly equivalent integrals and how it can be reconciled. It is mentioned that the two expressions differ by a constant and the importance of including the +C when dealing with indefinite integrals.
musemonkey
1. This is part of a larger calculation. I do it one way and get the right answer and do it a seemingly equivalent way and get the wrong answer. The question is just about reconciling the two integrals below.

[tex]I_1 = \int \frac{sin(2x)}{2} dx = -\frac{cos(2x)}{4} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{sin(2x)}{2} = sin(x)cos(x) [/tex]

[tex] I_2 = \int sin(x)cos(x) dx = - \frac{cos^2(x)}{2} [/tex]

For [tex] x= 0 [/tex], [tex] I_1 = -1/4 \neq I_2 = -1/2 [/tex].

How can this be?

Physics news on Phys.org
cos(2x)=cos(x+x)=cos(x)^2-sin(x)^2=2*cos(x)^2-1. Your two expressions differ by a constant. Don't forget the +C on an indefinite integral.

Thanks!

What are two equivalent integrals?

Two integrals are considered equivalent if they have the same integrand and limits of integration. This means that they will produce the same numerical result when evaluated.

Why are equivalent integrals useful in mathematics?

Equivalent integrals allow for the use of different mathematical techniques to solve the same problem. This can be helpful in simplifying a complex integral or finding alternative solutions.

How can you prove that two integrals are equivalent?

To prove that two integrals are equivalent, you can use basic integration rules such as the commutative and distributive properties, as well as substitution and integration by parts. By applying these rules, you can manipulate the integrals to show that they are equal.

What is the relationship between the antiderivative and the definite integral?

The antiderivative of a function is the reverse process of integration. The definite integral is the evaluation of the antiderivative at specific limits of integration. Therefore, the antiderivative and the definite integral are closely related, as the definite integral is used to find the antiderivative.

What are some real-world applications of equivalent integrals?

Equivalent integrals are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to solve problems involving continuous quantities. For example, in physics, equivalent integrals are used to calculate work, energy, and other physical quantities. In economics, they can be used to calculate total revenue and marginal revenue.