Two Fat Ladies, Julia, Jacques Pepin, do you remember?

• Thread starter Ouabache
  • Start date
In summary, the Two Fat Ladies Cook show was entertaining and featured scenic views of the British Isles. The Iron Chef show was also entertaining and featured professional chefs creating awe-inspiring dishes. Julia Child's French Chef show was also entertaining and featured her cooking French cuisine. Tyler Florence's Good Eats show was also entertaining and featured Alton Brown cooking various dishes.
Ouabache
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
An earlier thread reminded me of a few cooking shows I've enjoyed.. Perhaps you recall them too or would like to share your own favorites.. :rolleyes:

Two Fat Ladies Cook

There was a cooking show on Food Network a while ago called "Two Fat Ladies Cook" They featured Jennifer & Clarissa cooking British style foods and they were quite entertaining. A nice part of their show were scenic views of British Isles, as they rode about on their motorbike. It provided a glimpse into the culture and cuisine of GB (perhaps wolly can help us here). They made shows from 1996-98, with Jennifer passing on in 1998; long before I discovered them on Food Network. For those of you familiar with bingo terminology, you will recognize that 'two fat ladies' refers to call number 88 and the cycle Jennifer drove on their show had the registration N88TFL. :smile: Several of their vids can be viewed on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/okihsoh80

Iron Chef

Another one that was very entertaining was called the "Iron Chef".. I watched them a lot, a few years ago. The professional chef's ability to extemporaneously create awe inspiring dishes, has earned my respect. Evidently their shows ran from 1993-99 with a few more specials through 2002. So we only caught the tail end on Food Network. You can catch a cross section of their vids on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/archo89. Other interesting chef's I've watched..

Julia Child - The French Chef
vid clip(circa 1978)

Jacques & Claudine Pepin
here a clip1-pepin & clip2-pepin

Tyler Florence
here's a clip of him cooking turkey with pomegranate & rosemary glaze.

Alton Brown - Good Eats
A whole series of episodes on net. http://www.youtube.com/user/LikeTheHat

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The two fat ladies represented the upper class, the born with the silver spoon in the mouth
type, all though they were an earthy duo they were so detached from reality, i liked them
for their honesty and depth of character, but if anyone thinks that their way of cooking represents , or even obtaining the ingredients is typical then you is smoking.

You're talking about some of my all time favorite cooking shows!

Iron Chef is hands down my favorite. The comedy, the excellent commentary from the show commentaries, and the excellent food critics just made the show a delight to watch. The Japanese respect for food and the drive to do the best is so evident. The way the judges, although being celebrities, seemed to have a lot of food knowledge and could really articulate what a dish tasted like. It was awesome.

Evo said:

Iron Chef is hands down my favorite. The comedy, the excellent commentary from the show commentaries, and the excellent food critics just made the show a delight to watch. The Japanese respect for food and the drive to do the best is so evident. The way the judges, although being celebrities, seemed to have a lot of food knowledge and could really articulate what a dish tasted like. It was awesome.

I despair with these shows, they all ways have THE best ingredients, the finest cuts of meat, the freshest fish, every thing is to their advantage, now go find all their ingredients at your local outlet, i bet you will be hard pressed.

wolram

The two fat ladies ... i liked them for their honesty and depth of character...

They were quite a pair ...
I learned things from them I'd not heard of before, like stilton, swedes and marmite. How to cook with sardines, pilchards, herring & kippers. Using 'pudding' as a general term for any dessert simmered, baked, steamed or frozen. Across the pond, I've eaten sardines from a can, pickled herring in a jar, and smoked kippers from the deli or fish market.

They enlightened me of interesting terms like: bangers & mash, bubble & squeak, spotted dick & toad-in-the-hole; colorful names.

evo

Yep... With bigger-than-life master chefs rising up from the floor and the chairman of kitchen stadium unveiling the theme ingredient with a wave & flourish. It lent elements of a magician’s performance. It certainly put a new spin on a cooking show. Instead of showing you step-by-step preparation technique, they give you chefs working at a frenetic pace creating artistic delights to the palate, along with ring-side commentary. Fun to watch! And also put me in a good cooking spirit.:smile:

wolram said:
I despair with these shows, they all ways have THE best ingredients, the finest cuts of meat, the freshest fish, every thing is to their advantage, now go find all their ingredients at your local outlet, i bet you will be hard pressed.

Peasant :wink::biggrin:

hehe.

I agree like everyone has the beans to throw away on free range Aberdeen Angus or specially blended rye wheat from the fields of Andalucia. Or milk pasteurised from goats on the slopes of the caucus mountains, and specially churned by Valkyrie then blended and fomented into cheese by Our Lord himself before being aged for 4 millenia in the warm and dry store rooms of Hapahestus. This is not just cheese this is M&S cheeeese :wink:

Last edited:
Schrodinger's Dog said:
Peasant :wink::biggrin:

hehe.

I agree like everyone has the beans to throw away on free range Aberdeen Angus or specially blended rye wheat from the fields of Andalucia. Or milk pasteurised from goats on the slopes of the caucus mountains, and specially churned by Valkyrie then blended and fomented into cheese by Our Lord himself before being aged for 4 millenia in the warm and dry store rooms of Hapahestus. This is not just cheese this is M&S cheeeese :wink:

Phesant plucker. LOL.

Ouabache said:
They were quite a pair ...
I learned things from them I'd not heard of before, like stilton, swedes and marmite. How to cook with sardines, pilchards, herring & kippers. Using 'pudding' as a general term for any dessert simmered, baked, steamed or frozen. Across the pond, I've eaten sardines from a can, pickled herring in a jar, and smoked kippers from the deli or fish market.

They enlightened me of interesting terms like: bangers & mash, bubble & squeak, spotted dick & toad-in-the-hole;

I am a master toad in the hole maker, spoted dick and custard used to be a school favorite, we lads even developed tricks to get seconds, bangers and mash is ok but is
better with a thick onion gravy, i still can not get my steamed mushroom puding right,
the taste is good but it falls apart to easy.
Stilton is fantastic grilled on steak, and some times i have swede mash instead of tatters,
i am working on a pilchard pie i think it will be spicy hot and may be a little sweet.

Evo said:

No way. The all Thyme BEST show was 'Great chefs of the world' on the discovery channel in the late 90s. They would film TOP chefs around the world cooking only 5 star dishes in their restaurantes. THAT was the best cooking show I have ever seen on tv. It was better quality dishes than Iron chef. That show was amazing.

These guys would make FANCY stuff like frog legs, roated rabbit, duck, quail, pork chops. Also, cooking with lydia is good. Her food is italian 'home style' though.

I'm pretty lucky because we have a farm not too far away that raises pasture-fed Black Angus and free-range chickens, and another couple of places that raise free-range turkeys. Combined with the fresh produce and herbs from my garden, I have wonderful ingredients for much of the year. Winters are a bit more problematic because I'm using frozen or canned vegetables, but at least it's stuff that I processed fresh out of the garden. We have a nice cold cellar, and our buttercup squash kept very well all winter and just petered out recently.

I'd love to have Bobby Flay show up here for a throw-down, and make him wander down to the garden and select and pick his own ingredients, evaluate them for ripeness and freshness, and prepare them properly, instead of having his producers and staff do all that. I'd kick his butt.

Careful, he might try to 'raise the roof' like a jackass while standing on your kitchen counter top.

Cyrus said:
Careful, he might try to 'raise the roof' like a jackass while standing on your kitchen counter top.
That would tick off my wife, and then SHE'D kick his butt, too!

turbo-1 said:
We have a nice cold cellar, and our buttercup squash kept very well all winter and just petered out recently.
I also had turbin, acorn & buttercup squash from my root cellar all winter. I was amazed to find one pumpkin from last year's garden, still in good shape. It was kept in a relatively cool and ventilated place all winter. I just found some apples I put up in the freezer last fall and plan to bake some cinnamony apple & walnut breads soon. :tongue2:

Jacques Pepin is a master. He's one of the few that really could walk the walk. I was never a fan when his daughter would come on the show. He used to do appearances on Julia Child's show. Although, he was the quintessential French master chef that Alton likes to make fun of. That's OK. I still think Alton is the best just from the entertainment factor.

1. Who are "Two Fat Ladies"?

"Two Fat Ladies" was a British cooking show that aired from 1996 to 1999. It featured two chefs, Clarissa Dickson Wright and Jennifer Paterson, who traveled around the United Kingdom on a motorcycle and sidecar, cooking traditional British dishes.

2. Who is Julia from "Two Fat Ladies"?

Julia is Julia Child, an American chef and television personality who is known for popularizing French cuisine in the United States. She appeared on "Two Fat Ladies" in 1997, cooking alongside the two hosts.

3. Who is Jacques Pepin and how is he related to "Two Fat Ladies"?

Jacques Pepin is a French chef and television personality. He appeared on "Two Fat Ladies" in 1998, cooking a French-inspired meal with the two hosts. He is also known for his own cooking show, "Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home," which he co-hosted with Julia Child.

4. When did "Two Fat Ladies" end?

"Two Fat Ladies" ended in 1999 after three seasons. Jennifer Paterson passed away in 1999, just a few weeks after the final episode aired.

5. Is "Two Fat Ladies" available to watch now?

Yes, "Two Fat Ladies" is available to watch on various streaming platforms, such as Amazon Prime and Hulu. You can also purchase the DVD box set to watch the entire series.

Back