1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two fermions perturbation

1. Jan 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 4.34.21 PM.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I suppose to determine if a hamiltonian is rotational invariant, we check if [H(1),L^2], however, I am not sure how to do it if the hamiltonian is operate on a two particle wave function.
    Is it just to evaluate [S1z Z2 +S2z Z1, L1^2+L2^2]?

What is the ground state wave function for this system?
    I suppose it is

A (|0,1,1/2,-1/2> - |0,1,-1/2,1/2>), if you apply S1z, you get 0. It is also true for S2z. I think I am just lost here.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The rotation operator in this system will be associated with the angular momentum operator ##J^z = L_1^z + S_1^z + L_2^z + S_2^z##. To check if the perturbation alters the rotation invariant of the system, calculate the commutation ##[H^{(1)},J^z]##.

4. Jan 28, 2016 #3
    Thank you fore replying.
    How should I reprent ## L_z ##? is it ## XP_y - YP_x ##? Get r in spherical coordinate using raising and lowering operator and projection z axis? seems like a lot of work.

5. Jan 29, 2016 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. ##L_z## is the orbital angular momentum of one of the fermions.
    That's too much than needed. Just plug in each expression for ##H^{(1)}## and ##J_z## into the commutator ##[H^{(1)},J_z]##. It should be simple if you use the property of commutator between angular momentum and position.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted