1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two forces on a point particle

1. Oct 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Besides its weight, a 4.20 kg object is subjected to one other constant force. The object starts from rest and in 1.20 s experiences a displacement of (3.80i hat - 3.30j hat) m, where the direction of j hat is the upward vertical direction. Determine the other force.

2. Relevant equations

F = ma; F =[tex]\sqrt{Fx2+Fy2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

okay so i know that the weight is pulling down on the object at 41.16 N. So i need to find the direction and magnitude of a force countering it, so that the resultant vector will = 5.03, however i'm confused about what role 1.20 s has to do with the problem. any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2008 #2
    You can break this problem down into its component constituents... the force due to gravity acts only in the j direction, so when this particle is displaced 3.80m in the i direction, in 1.20s, for which the acceleration is constant (because force is constant), you have:

[tex] 3.80 = \frac{1}{2}a_x(1.20)^2 [/tex]

since the object starts at rest (this is a suvat equation). Then you have:

[tex] F_x = ma_x [/tex]

Under the force of gravity alone, the object will travel some distance in j direction but has in fact travelled -3.30m in that direction... find out the difference and see what extra distance you need and then set up another equation the same as the one i have in x, with

[tex] s = 1/2a_y(1.20)^2 [/tex]

where s is this 'extra' distance.

The importance of the 1.20s then, is in calculating the component accelerations (and hence the forces) of the particle.

4. Oct 24, 2008 #3
    okay i did all that, and for the Fx, i still got the wrong answer. i got 23.76, but the program i'm using said i was within 10% of the answer. for the Fy, however, it said i was off by orders of magnitude. Here is what i did, maybe you can show me where i went wrong:

Yf = m(-g)t2 + s
    then i plugged in numbers, solved for x, and put that back into that
    s = 1/2ay(1.20)2,
    found ay and then
    plugged that into Fy = may
    and got a final answer of 376.275, but it said i was off by orders of magnitude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?