Proving Non-Simplicity of Algebra with Two Generators

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of proving that an algebra with only two generators cannot be simple. The speaker has attempted to show this by considering the Lie algebra condition, but has not been successful. They also mention the possibility of the algebra containing an identity, which would make it not simple. The other person suggests that they may be referring to Lie Algebras specifically, and offers a starting point for their proof.
semisimple
Hi,
I have been asked to prove that an algebra with only two generators can not be simple. I have thought about it and have tried to show that one of the two structure constants go to zero in the Lie algebra condition that [xi,xj]=sumoverk Cijkxk , but I can't find any way to show that (using the Bianci Identity, for example), and perhaps I am thinking about it the wrong way. I have also tried to think about it logically - perhaps it contains the identity for some reason and any algebra containing the identity is not simple.
I would appreciate any hints people might give me.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't mean just 'algebra', can you? The quaternionic fields are algebras and have 2 generators. They are skew fields, hence simple (no ideals), indeed they are central simple algebras, aren't they?

Perhaps you mean 'Lie Algebra'? Indeed you must mean something other than 'algebra' by your last assertion that any algebra with an identity is not simple (the full matrix algebra of nxn matrices over some field is simple and has an identity).

Simple lie algebras are copies of sl_2 glued together. That's one starting point, I don't know how far it'll get you.

Last edited:
Hi Matt,
From what you say it must be Lie Algebras that I have to prove it for. The question just said "prove that an algebra...", but the title of the questions in general says "Lie Algebras". I was unsure at first, but decided he must mean Lie Algebra for that question. Sorry I didn't specify. I will think about sl2 idea.

1. What is the purpose of proving non-simplicity of algebra with two generators?

The purpose of proving non-simplicity of algebra with two generators is to establish the complexity of a particular algebraic structure. It helps to understand the underlying structure and properties of the algebra, and can also be used to solve more advanced mathematical problems.

2. What are the two generators in this algebraic structure?

The two generators in this algebraic structure refer to the two elements used to generate all other elements in the algebra. These elements can be any mathematical object, such as numbers, variables, or functions.

3. How do you prove non-simplicity of algebra with two generators?

Proving non-simplicity of algebra with two generators involves showing that there is no other way to generate the elements of the algebra using only the two given generators. This can be done through various methods, such as using algebraic identities or mathematical induction.

4. What is the difference between simplicity and non-simplicity in algebra with two generators?

Simplicity in algebra with two generators means that the elements of the algebra can be generated using only the two given generators. Non-simplicity, on the other hand, means that there is no way to generate all elements using only the two given generators.

5. How is proving non-simplicity of algebra with two generators useful in mathematics?

Proving non-simplicity of algebra with two generators is useful in mathematics as it helps to understand the complexity of a particular algebraic structure. It also has applications in solving mathematical problems and can provide insight into other related algebraic structures.