1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two geometry questions

1. Feb 16, 2012 #1
    Hi, I was wondering how to calculate, mathematically, the number of vertices on a cube, rather than just count them? Also, in a cube, how many edges are shared by a face? By counting the number of edges, there comes out to be 24, but since it face shares four edges, shouldn't there be 6 edges then? I am trying to calculate both of these without counting. I am reading geometry for beginners by G. A. Hill, written in 1884; it is profoundly interesting, but since I never took geometry, I just don't have an intuition for it. Is there perhaps a simpler book that someone could suggest, for now to read?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2012 #2
    Ah yes, I remembering learning about this a long time ago, you have a formula along the lines of F+V-E=2. This is Euler's formula, where F= the number of faces, V= the number of vertices, and E=the number of edges. So you can solve for the third one by knowing the other two.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook