Two grounds in a simple circuit

• Thread starter PainterGuy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation is about a problem in a circuit with two grounds and inconsistent voltage readings. The expert suggests that the circuit is labelled incorrectly and explains the correct voltage readings based on the placement of the negative probe of the meter. They also recommend using a freeware called yenka to test the circuits.
PainterGuy
hello everyone,:wink:

can someone please help me with the problem in the circuit on the following link:-
http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/1108/groundproblem.jpg

there are two grounds (0V) (which means they can be connected to complete the circuit). don't you think there is problem with the circuit?

going counter clockwise: the voltage at "b" is 20V, at "a" 16V, and after traversing the E1=10V, the remaining voltage is 6V. do you get my what i am trying to say?:rolleyes: perhaps, more volts need to drop across the resistor R.

i am very grateful for any help you can give me.

cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
painterguy said:

can someone please help me with the problem in the circuit on the following link:-

there are two grounds (0V) (which means they can be connected to complete the circuit). don't you think there is problem with the circuit?

going counter clockwise: the voltage at "b" is 20V, at "a" 16V, and after traversing the E1=10V, the remaining voltage is 6V. do you get my what i am trying to say?:rolleyes: perhaps, more volts need to drop across the resistor R.

cheers

The voltage at "a" is the 10V power supply's output voltage, so there is more than 4V across the resistor. Where did you get 16V?

Is this a schoolwork question? Self study?

painterguy said:

cheers

berkeman said:
The voltage at "a" is the 10V power supply's output voltage, so there is more than 4V across the resistor. Where did you get 16V?

Is this a schoolwork question? Self study?

hi berkeman,:smile:

you can say it's self-study to improve understanding. in the original i also say that there has to be more volts across the resistors. because if you start traversing the circuit from point "c" counter clockwise you get 16V at "a". do this make sense? please tell me. many thanks for your help.

cheers

painterguy said:
hi berkeman,:smile:

you can say it's self-study to improve understanding.

Even if for self-study, you should be posting questions like this in the HH/Intro Physics forum, and not in the General Physics forum.

painterguy said:
in the original i also say that there has to be more volts across the resistors. because if you start traversing the circuit from point "c" counter clockwise you get 16V at "a". do this make sense? please tell me. many thanks for your help.

Then the "circuit" is labelled incorrectly. The "4V" drawn at the resistor is inconsistent with the rest of the circuit. Where did the circuit come from?

berkeman said:
Even if for self-study, you should be posting questions like this in the HH/Intro Physics forum, and not in the General Physics forum.

sorry,:shy: i am new to this forum. will learn these things soon. where to post what.

berkeman said:
Then the "circuit" is labelled incorrectly. The "4V" drawn at the resistor is inconsistent with the rest of the circuit. Where did the circuit come from?

just made it up by using a circuit saw in a book. please tell me if the volts drawn at the resistor have been fixed then the grounds are thought to be connected to complete the circuit because both are at 0V. many thanks for teaching me this stuff.

cheers

Get a bit of freeware called yenka and draw the circuits and it'll test them for you

painterguy said:
just made it up by using a circuit saw in a book. please tell me if the volts drawn at the resistor have been fixed then the grounds are thought to be connected to complete the circuit because both are at 0V.

As drawn, the circuit grounds are the same (hence connected), and the common practice is to call the voltage at the ground symbols 0V.

As drawn (forget the "4V" text), the voltage at "a" is 10V, and the voltage at "b" is 20V, so the voltage drop across the resistor is 10V.

many thanks berkeman. you have really helped me. hope you will keep helping me in future.

cheers

painterguy said:

cheers

4V in the resistor R is wrong.
Assuming you are taking measurement with a meter where the negative probe is at the ground.
Voltage at point 'a' is 10V (same as E1)
Voltage at point 'b' is 20V (same as E2 or E1+volts in R)
Voltage at point 'c' is 0V (ground)
Now if you move the probes between points 'a' and 'b', which is voltage in R, meter will read 10V [20-10=10V] not 4V.

You see it all depends on where you place the negative probe of the meter.

many thanks Neanderthal00 for the analysis.

cheers

1. What is the purpose of having two grounds in a simple circuit?

Two grounds are used in a simple circuit to ensure a stable and reliable flow of electricity. The two grounds provide a reference point for the circuit, allowing for proper functioning and accurate measurements.

2. Can a simple circuit function with just one ground?

Technically, a simple circuit can function with just one ground. However, having two grounds ensures a more stable and accurate flow of electricity, making it the preferred setup in most cases.

3. How do I connect two grounds in a simple circuit?

To connect two grounds in a simple circuit, you can use a wire to create a common connection between the two grounds. This will allow for a shared reference point and ensure proper functioning of the circuit.

4. Will having two grounds increase the resistance in a simple circuit?

No, having two grounds will not increase the resistance in a simple circuit. The resistance in a circuit is determined by the components and their arrangement, not the number of grounds.

5. Are there any safety concerns with having two grounds in a simple circuit?

No, having two grounds in a simple circuit does not pose any safety concerns. In fact, having two grounds can improve safety by providing a backup reference point in case one ground fails.