1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Group homomorphism proofs

1. Feb 5, 2013 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##\theta : G \mapsto H## be a group homomorphism.
    A) Show that ##\theta## is injective ##\iff## ##\text{Ker}\theta = \left\{e\right\}##

B) If ##\theta## is injective, show that ##G \cong Im \theta ≤ H##.

3. The attempt at a solution

A)The right implication is fine. Briefly, if ##\theta## is a homomorphism, then the identity in G is always sent to the identity in H. Since ##\theta## is injective, no other element maps there. I am not so sure about the left implication, but what I tried was:
    Consider ##\theta (g_1) = h_1## and ##\theta (g_2) = h_1. ## Want to show that ##g_1 = g_2## using the fact that ##\text{Ker}\theta = ##identity.
    Then ##\theta (g_1 e_G) = \theta (g_1) e_H = h_1 = \theta(g_2)e_H## so ##\theta(g_1) = \theta(g_2) (1)##. But I realise this is a trivial result. From here I want to show that ##g_1 = g_2##. We were given a hint to use inverses more explicitly, but I can't see it right now.

B)I think I have this one, I just would like someone to check over it to make sure I haven't overlooked anything. So prove that ##G \cong Im \theta##

This means ##G## is isomorphic to ##Im \theta## and so we have a bijective homomorphism. It is given that ##\theta## is injective, so we need only show surjectivity.
    But simply, by defintion of ##Im \theta##, it is surjective.

Now prove ##Im \theta \leq H##, so use test for subgroup.
    i)Non empty: we are dealing with a homomorphism, so the identity in g is always mapped to identity in H, so the image is never nonempty.

ii)Closure: Let ##h_1, h_2 \in Im \theta##. For some ##g_1, g_2 \in G, g_1 \neq g_2##, we have ##\theta(g_1) = h_1 ## and ##\theta(g_2) = h_2##. Then ##\theta(g_1)\theta(g_2) = h_1 h_2 = \theta(g_1 g_2). ## We found such an element that maps to ##h_1 h_2## so closure is satisfied.

iii) Let ##\ell = h_1 h_2 \Rightarrow \ell h_2^{-1} = h_1 \Rightarrow \ell h_2^{-1} h_1^{-1} = e \Rightarrow \ell (h_1 h_2)^{-1} = e.## So we found an element such that when it is smashed with another element we get ##e \in Im \theta##, so closed under inverse.

Is this okay? If so, it is really just the left implication of A) that I need a hint for.

Many thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2013 #2
    For 1, what happens to the element [itex] g_1 g_2^{-1} [/itex] under the homomorphism?

For 2, your proof is correct though you already know e is in the image as identity is preserved under the morphism. This is also a special case of the first isomorphism theorem.

4. Feb 5, 2013 #3

CAF123

Gold Member

Hi Kreizhn,

So applying ##g_1 g_2^{-1}## to the homomorphism, I get $$\theta(g_1 g_2^{-1}) = \theta(g_1) \theta(g_2^{-1}) = \theta(g_1) (\theta (g_2))^{-1} = h_1 (h_1)^{-1} = e_H,$$ where I defined ##\theta(g_1) = \theta(g_2) = h_1##. Since we know only the identity in G, ##e_G## maps to ##e_H##, I conclude that ##g_1 = g_2##. Okay?

5. Feb 5, 2013 #4
    Looks good.

6. Feb 5, 2013 #5

CAF123

Gold Member

Thanks for the help.

7. Feb 14, 2013 #6

CAF123

Gold Member

Apparently I had to show that there existed a homormorphism between G and Imθ.

8. Feb 14, 2013 #7
    I don't follow: [itex] \theta [/itex] is your homomorphism, that is what you showed.

9. Feb 15, 2013 #8

CAF123

Gold Member

I don't think I showed ##\theta## was a homormorphism - it is given that ##θ## is a homormorphism. The comment on my work is that '##θ : G →H ## is a homormorphism, need to show homormorphism ##G →\operatorname{Im} \theta##'

10. Feb 15, 2013 #9

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There's not much to show. We can certainly define ##\phi : G \rightarrow im(\theta)## by ##\phi(g) = \theta(g)##. Then ##\phi## is a homomorphism because ##\phi(ab) = \theta(ab) = \theta(a)\theta(b) = \phi(a)\phi(b)##. The only distinction between ##\phi## and ##\theta## is that ##\phi## is surjective even if ##\theta## is not. Note that ##\phi## is injective if and only if ##\theta## is.

11. Feb 15, 2013 #10

CAF123

Gold Member

Could you elaborate further how you made these deducements?

12. Feb 15, 2013 #11

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK. I defined ##\phi : G \rightarrow im(\theta)## by ##\phi(g) = \theta(g)##. If ##a \in im(\theta)## then by definition of the image, there is some ##g \in G## such that ##\theta(g) = a##. But this means ##\phi(g) = a##. This shows that ##\phi## is surjective.

Suppose ##\theta## is injective. If ##\phi(g) = \phi(h)## then ##\theta(g) = \theta(h)##, so ##g = h## because of the injectivity of ##\theta##. This shows that ##\phi## is injective.

Conversely, suppose ##\phi## is injective. If ##\theta(g) = \theta(h)##, then ##\phi(g) = \phi(h)##, and this implies ##g = h## because of the injectivity of ##\phi##. This shows that ##\theta## is injective.

13. Feb 15, 2013 #12

CAF123

Gold Member

Makes sense, thanks. But why did you define ##\phi(g) = \theta(g)##?Is this arbitrary?

14. Feb 15, 2013 #13

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What other candidate is available if we want a homomorphism between ##G## and ##im(\theta)##? We are not given any information about ##G## or ##H##, other than the fact that ##\theta : G \rightarrow H## is a homomorphism. Therefore we have nothing to work with except ##\theta##. There may well be other homomorphisms from ##G## onto ##im(G)##, but no information is provided about any of them.

15. Feb 15, 2013 #14
    I think the gist of it is this:

Technically, when you restrict morphisms they could stop being morphisms. When you restrict the domain it may fail to be a subgroup so the map, while still defined, could fail to be a homomorphism. Conversely, if you restrict the codomain, the map may not have a well-defined target and so fail to be a mapping.

In this instance, we are restricting the codomain so that [itex] \theta: G \to \text{im}\theta [/itex]. The only possible pitfall is that your target not be well-defined, for which it suffices to check that [itex] \text{im}\theta \subseteq \text{im}\theta[/itex]. But this is a tautology, so there's nothing to show.

It seems incredibly pedantic, but perhaps if this is a "first course" in abstract algebra, the TA is just making sure you "dot your i's and cross your t's."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook