Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Guys Creeped Out By Sasquatch

1. Jun 10, 2004 #1
    Thu, June 10, 2004
    Men sight Sasquatch
    By CP

WHITEHORSE -- Whatever two Teslin residents saw in the early morning mist, conservation officer Dave Bakica knows it shook them up. Marion Sheldon and Gus Jules were travelling out of town along the Alaska Hwy. on an ATV, sometime after 1 a.m. last Sunday when they passed what resembled a person standing on the side of the highway.
    Thinking it was a local who might be in need of a ride, they turned around and headed back, Bakica explained in an interview yesterday recalling his conservation with the pair.
    As the two lifelong Teslin residents and members of the Teslin Tlingit Council approached to within six metres, they noticed the figure was covered in hair, but standing upright.
    Jules told Bakica he saw what he believed to be flesh tones hidden beneath a mat of hair.
    "I have no doubt they saw something, and are convinced it was not a bear or anything in the ordinary," the conservation officer said.
    Sheldon and Jules were unavailable for comment.
    Bakica said Jules is an experience hunter. He described the figure as standing about seven feet tall, but hunched over. They could see it was not a person.
    The dark-haired figure departed, taking two or three steps to cross the Alaska Highway.
    "I have no doubt in my mind that they believe what they saw was a Sasquatch," said Bakica.

The Calgary Sun: Men sight Sasquatch
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2004 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They just keep a comin'

I liked the story of the psychiatrist who, after allegedly seeing bigfoot while hiking near Grant's Pass Oregon, had to poop.
  4. Jun 10, 2004 #3
    I hadn't heard that one. A psychiatrist, eh? Just like Dr. Baddour who saw the zoobies. Perhaps, given a choice, bigfoot prefers to reveal himself to psychiatrists. A cry for help?
  5. Jun 11, 2004 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes we had that story here somewhere... Also, I was down in Grants Pass recently and I checked but there were no zoobys.

I would say that this happens because psychiatrists are more understanding and they don't hurt his feelings. :biggrin:

This is one link that I had but maybe the wrong story.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2004
  6. Jun 11, 2004 #5
    No, that seems to be the right story.

What lends it alot of credence (meaning he definitely saw something he couldn't explain) is how upset/traumatized he was. Dr. Baddour was as well, and took to carrying a magnum 44, and so were the two guys in the story I posted.

I saw a guy on TV who encountered one, also on a hike in a mountain park, and he said he had nightmares about it for a while afterwards. He pointed out that, even if it turned out that someone had pulled a hoax on him, it was terrifying at the time.

I would be really terrified to encounter a bear in the woods, even knowing what it was. Seeing something larger than a bear, that you didn't recognize, but which looked ape-like/human would certainly mess with your head.

I am much less inclined to believe any stories where the person claims they watched it in exited wonder, or with anything but fear.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2004
  7. Jun 15, 2004 #6

jimmy p

Gold Member

Well that is enough information for me. I bet the first thing Gus did was tell his brothers Bobby-Joe and Zebidiah, and Grampy Jed.

How wide is the Alaska highway? Maybe the bottle of Jack helped them see this event more clearly. :wink:
  8. Jun 15, 2004 #7

jimmy p

Gold Member

WOAH!!! Marion is a GUY??? O...K... the sources are DEFINITELY unreliable.
  9. Jun 15, 2004 #8

Science Advisor

John Wayne's real name was Marion. It makes you tough, ya'know, like "A Boy Named Sue", by Johnny Cash.

10. Jun 15, 2004 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Francis Marion (his last name) was the most famous southern general in the revolutionary war, and his name was often used with martial and southern patriotic meaning. My great grandfather was named Francis Marion (his middle name) and fought in the Civil War. My father was named Marion after him. He hated the name and always went by a nickname.
  11. Jun 16, 2004 #10
    RE: "Sheldon and Jules were unavailable for comment."

You mean they're not the ones making the claim? Well....okay.
  12. Aug 10, 2009 #11
  13. Aug 10, 2009 #12
    Up till the time I was in high school Hillary was still most commonly a man’s name. My nephew was unfortunate enough to be in the last generation, it seems, wherein boys were so named (named, likewise, after his grandfather). I have to say, though, he’s made it work for him; he is a strong, rugged guy with his own business now, and bears his name proudly. Few would care to mock his name to his face.
  14. Feb 27, 2010 #13
    Alaska highway is a two lane highway with shoulders, about 7m(20 ft ) across so 7 ft plus stride makes sense for 7ft tall whatever it was.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?