Two identcal spiral galaxies A and B w/ equal & opposite momenta merge

In summary, when two identical spiral galaxies A and B with equal but opposite momenta a and b are merged, they form a resultant galaxy C with a net linear momentum c. This means that the correct option is d) c=0, as the equal and opposite momenta cancel each other out. This concept comes from the subject of physics.
ritwik06
Two identcal spiral galaxies A and B with equal but opposite momenta a and b are merged to form a resultant galaxy C with a net linear momentum c. Which is true?
a) c>b
b) 0<c<b
c)c= abs(b)+abs(a)
d) c=0

Astronomy news on Phys.org
As usual, you need to show work.

SpaceTiger said:
As usual, you need to show work.

Well, this question came in my olympiad. If I had got it, i wouldn't have come here. I am a student of 9th. So please at least tell which subject should I refer to.

I think the resultant will be zero becoz there is equal and opposite momenta.

1. What happens when two identical spiral galaxies with equal and opposite momenta merge?

When two identical spiral galaxies with equal and opposite momenta merge, their gravitational pull causes them to collide and eventually merge into one larger galaxy. The resulting galaxy will have a different shape and structure compared to the original galaxies.

2. How does the momentum of each galaxy affect the merging process?

The equal and opposite momenta of the two galaxies cancel each other out, resulting in a slower collision and a more gradual merging process. This also helps to prevent any chaotic disruptions to the structure of the galaxies.

3. Is it common for galaxies to merge?

Galaxy mergers are a common occurrence in the universe. It is estimated that our own Milky Way galaxy has undergone multiple mergers in its history. These mergers play a crucial role in the evolution of galaxies.

4. What factors determine the outcome of a galaxy merger?

The outcome of a galaxy merger is determined by various factors such as the mass and shape of the merging galaxies, the angle of collision, and the presence of other nearby galaxies that may disrupt the merging process.

5. Can the merging of galaxies affect their surrounding environment?

Yes, the merging of galaxies can have a significant impact on their surrounding environment. The merging process can trigger the formation of new stars and alter the distribution of gas and dust in the galaxies, which in turn can affect the formation of new planets and other celestial bodies.