1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two improper integrals

1. Jun 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the divergence or convergence of the improper integral. Evaluate the integral if it converges.

1. [tex]\int^{4}_{2}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^{2}-4}}[/tex] dx

2. [tex]\int^{2}_{0}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{x-1}}[/tex] dx

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

t = x - 2
    dt = dx

[tex]\int^{4}_{2}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^{2}-4}}[/tex] dx
    =[tex]\int^{2}_{0}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{(t+2)^{2}-4}}[/tex] dx
    =[tex]\int^{2}_{0}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{t^{2}+4t}}[/tex] dx

[tex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow\infty}[/tex] [tex]\int^{2}_{N}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{t^{2}+4t}}[/tex] dt

I'm not sure how to integrate [tex]\int^{2}_{N}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{t^{2}+4t}}[/tex] dt from here.

[tex]\int^{2}_{0}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{x-1}}[/tex] dx = [tex]\int^{1}_{0}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{x-1}}[/tex] + [tex]\int^{2}_{1}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{x-1}}[/tex]

t = 1 - x
    dt = -dx

[tex]\int^{1}_{0}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{x-1}}[/tex] = [tex]\int^{0}_{1}[/tex][tex]\frac{-1}{\sqrt[3]{-t}}[/tex] dt = [tex]\int^{1}_{0}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{-t}}[/tex] dt

[tex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow\infty}[/tex] [tex]\int^{1}_{N}[/tex][tex]-t^{-1/3}[/tex] dt
    = [tex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow\infty}[/tex] -[tex]\frac{3}{4}(-t)^{4/3}[/tex][tex]|^{1}_{N}[/tex] = [tex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow\infty}[/tex] [tex]\left[\frac{3}{4} + \frac{3}{4}(-N)^{4/3}\right][/tex] = [tex]\infty[/tex]

So I got that this integral diverges, however, the book answers are:

Book Answers:

1. [tex] ln (2 + \sqrt{3}) [/tex]
    2. 0

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2009 #2
  4. Jun 28, 2009 #3
    Hmm, I see. I would like to know how this formula was derived though. Also do you see something wrong with #2?

5. Jun 28, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For the first one you do a trig substitution, like x=2*sec(t). For the second one the "improper" part of your integrand is it's divergence at x=1. You should be letting x->1 in both halves of the integral, not x->infinity.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  6. Jun 29, 2009 #5
    In the first one, [tex]\lim_{N \to 0}[/tex] not [tex]\infty[/tex]

7. Jun 29, 2009 #6
    But I set t = x - 1 specifially to make the discontinuity at 0; with t the problem occurs at 0, then don't we take the limit to infinity?

8. Jun 29, 2009 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure, in terms of t the integrand is (-t)^(-1/3) so the discontinuity is at 0. So for example integrate it from epsilon to 1 and let epsilon approach 0. Why would you send anything to infinity? BTW the antiderivative of (-t)^(-1/3) isn't (-3/4)*(-t)^(4/3). What's the correct power?

9. Jun 29, 2009 #8
    ah I just flipped through my textbook and you are right. I took the limit to 0 and got the right answer. the first I still am not sure how to integrate, there doesn't seem to be a trig substitution that works

10. Jun 29, 2009 #9
    the power you asked for is 2/3

11. Jun 29, 2009 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your variable changes aren't really helping you. You are just moving the discontinuity around. To do the first integral stick with the form 1/sqrt(x^2-4) and substitute x=2*sec(t).

12. Jun 29, 2009 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's better.

13. Jun 29, 2009 #12
    I don't understand how you came up with 2 sec t

14. Jun 29, 2009 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If x=2*sec(t) then x^2-4 becomes 4*sec(t)^2-4=4(sec(t)^2-1). sec(t)^2-1=tan(t)^2. Now the quantity inside the square root is a perfect square.

15. Jun 30, 2009 #14
    I tried doing the substitution but then got stuck again. This is what I did:

[tex]x = 2 sec (t)[/tex]
    [tex]dt = 2 sec(t) tan (t) dx [/tex]
    [tex]t = sec^{-1} (x/2)[/tex]

[tex]\int^{\pi/3}_{0}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{(2 sec(t)^{2} - 4} - 4}(2 sec(t) tan (t)}[/tex][tex]dt[/tex]

= [tex]\int^{\pi/3}_{0}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{4(sec^{2}t -1)}(2 sec(t) tan (t)}[/tex][tex]dt[/tex]

= [tex]\int^{\pi/3}_{0}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{4 tan^{2})t)}(2 sec(t) tan (t)}[/tex][tex]dt[/tex]

= [tex]\int^{\pi/3}_{0}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{2 tan(t)(2 sec(t) tan (t)}[/tex][tex]dt[/tex]

= [tex]\int^{\pi/3}_{0}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{2 tan^{2}(t)(2 sec(t))}[/tex][tex]dt[/tex]

However, I still am not sure how to integrate this expression.

16. Jun 30, 2009 #15

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If x=2*sec(t) then dx=2*sec(t)*tan(t)*dt. NOT dt=2*sec(t)*tan(t)*dx. The tan's will cancel and you should be left with just the integral of sec(t).

17. Jun 30, 2009 #16
    Obviously you did something wrong.
    [tex]x=2sec(t)[/tex]

[tex]dx=2tan(t)sec(t)dt[/tex]

Now,
    [tex]\int^{\pi/3}_{0}\frac{1}{\sqrt{\frac{4}{cos^2(t)}-4}}*2tan(t)sec(t)dt=[/tex]
    [tex]=\int^{\pi/3}_{0}\frac{cos(t)}{\sqrt{4(1-cos^2(t))}}*2tan(t)sec(t)dt=[/tex]
    [tex]=\int^{\pi/3}_{0}\frac{cos(t)}{2sin(t)}*2tan(t)sec(t)dt=[/tex]

Do you know how to continue from now on?

You got here cotan(t)*tan(t)=1 and its pretty easy to solve it.

Regards.

18. Jun 30, 2009 #17
    Finally solved it! Thank you! I would have never thought to use a trig substitution like that. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook