Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two inocent questions

1. Apr 12, 2006 #1

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is dandruff caused by a fungus...? If not, then what the heck it's causing it...?

Along the same curiosity-driven lines, is tartar (that nasty thingy that adheres to your teeth) caused by phosphates found in fruit and vegetables and some other food...?

Daniel.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2006 #2

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

4. Apr 12, 2006 #3

JamesU

Gold Member

5. Apr 14, 2006 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks for your input. I'm a bit more knowledgeable now. Hopefully this gum inflammation that i have will cure...

Daniel.

6. Apr 14, 2006 #5

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Ummmm,.... couldn't be Mumps could it? There's a worldwide epidemic of that going on.

7. Apr 14, 2006 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

That doesn't inflame the gums though, does it? It definitely swells the glands in the neck.

When I had mono, I looked like I had the mumps.

Dex, if the gum inflamation doesn't go away in a few days, visit a dentist, some people are prone to periodontal disease.

8. Apr 21, 2006 #7

Curious3141

Homework Helper

BTW, the fungus implicated in dandruff causation through a chronic infection of the hair follicles is Malassezia furfur.

9. Apr 25, 2006 #8
    Dandruff is cause both by the fungus Malassezia furfur and by excessively oily skin. For the latter, I suggest a conditioner with Tea Tree oil. :D

10. Apr 28, 2006 #9

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

If one has gum inflammation - perhaps gingivitis - in addition to brushing regularly, one needs to increase Vitamin C.

For skin problems, Vitamin E, would help, in addition to treatments for other causes, such as those mentioned.

If one is smoking and drinking alcohol, then one should reduce use, as these deplete Vitamin C and E.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?