Two inocent questions (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

dextercioby

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Is dandruff caused by a fungus...? If not, then what the heck it's causing it...?

Along the same curiosity-driven lines, is tartar (that nasty thingy that adheres to your teeth) caused by phosphates found in fruit and vegetables and some other food...?

Daniel.

DocToxyn

Science Advisor
A fungus is one of the potential causes of dandruff. There are others that may or may not interact with the fungus to exacerbate the problem.

http://www.rxinsider.com/dandruff.htm" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

dextercioby

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Thanks for your input. I'm a bit more knowledgeable now. Hopefully this gum inflammation that i have will cure...

Daniel.

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
dextercioby said:
Hopefully this gum inflammation that i have will cure...
Ummmm,.... couldn't be Mumps could it? There's a worldwide epidemic of that going on.

Evo

Mentor
selfAdjoint said:
Ummmm,.... couldn't be Mumps could it? There's a worldwide epidemic of that going on.
That doesn't inflame the gums though, does it? It definitely swells the glands in the neck.

When I had mono, I looked like I had the mumps.

Dex, if the gum inflamation doesn't go away in a few days, visit a dentist, some people are prone to periodontal disease.

Curious3141

Homework Helper
BTW, the fungus implicated in dandruff causation through a chronic infection of the hair follicles is Malassezia furfur.

Dandruff is cause both by the fungus Malassezia furfur and by excessively oily skin. For the latter, I suggest a conditioner with Tea Tree oil. :D

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
dextercioby said:
Thanks for your input. I'm a bit more knowledgeable now. Hopefully this gum inflammation that i have will cure...
If one has gum inflammation - perhaps gingivitis - in addition to brushing regularly, one needs to increase Vitamin C.

For skin problems, Vitamin E, would help, in addition to treatments for other causes, such as those mentioned.

If one is smoking and drinking alcohol, then one should reduce use, as these deplete Vitamin C and E.

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving