Dandruff & Tartar: Causes & Answers - Daniel

• Thread starter dextercioby
  • Start date
In summary, dandruff can be caused by a fungus known as Malassezia furfur as well as excessively oily skin. Gum inflammation, or gingivitis, can be caused by a variety of factors including poor oral hygiene and Vitamin C deficiency. Additionally, Vitamin E may help with skin problems and should be considered as part of treatment. Smoking and alcohol consumption can also deplete the body of necessary vitamins.
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Is dandruff caused by a fungus...? If not, then what the heck it's causing it...?

Along the same curiosity-driven lines, is tartar (that nasty thingy that adheres to your teeth) caused by phosphates found in fruit and vegetables and some other food...?

Daniel.

Biology news on Phys.org
A fungus is one of the potential causes of dandruff. There are others that may or may not interact with the fungus to exacerbate the problem.

http://www.rxinsider.com/dandruff.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your input. I'm a bit more knowledgeable now. Hopefully this gum inflammation that i have will cure...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Hopefully this gum inflammation that i have will cure...

Ummmm,... couldn't be Mumps could it? There's a worldwide epidemic of that going on.

selfAdjoint said:
Ummmm,... couldn't be Mumps could it? There's a worldwide epidemic of that going on.
That doesn't inflame the gums though, does it? It definitely swells the glands in the neck.

When I had mono, I looked like I had the mumps.

Dex, if the gum inflamation doesn't go away in a few days, visit a dentist, some people are prone to periodontal disease.

BTW, the fungus implicated in dandruff causation through a chronic infection of the hair follicles is Malassezia furfur.

Dandruff is cause both by the fungus Malassezia furfur and by excessively oily skin. For the latter, I suggest a conditioner with Tea Tree oil. :D

dextercioby said:
Thanks for your input. I'm a bit more knowledgeable now. Hopefully this gum inflammation that i have will cure...

If one has gum inflammation - perhaps gingivitis - in addition to brushing regularly, one needs to increase Vitamin C.

For skin problems, Vitamin E, would help, in addition to treatments for other causes, such as those mentioned.

If one is smoking and drinking alcohol, then one should reduce use, as these deplete Vitamin C and E.

1. What is dandruff and what causes it?

Dandruff is a common scalp condition characterized by flaking and itching of the skin. It is caused by an overgrowth of a yeast-like fungus called Malassezia, which feeds on the natural oils in our scalp.

2. Can dandruff be prevented?

Dandruff cannot be completely prevented, but there are steps you can take to reduce its occurrence. Regularly washing your hair with a mild shampoo, avoiding harsh hair products, and maintaining a healthy diet can all help prevent dandruff.

3. What is tartar and how does it form?

Tartar, also known as dental calculus, is a hard, yellowish deposit that forms on the teeth due to the buildup of plaque. Plaque is a sticky film of bacteria that forms on the teeth and gums and hardens into tartar if not removed by regular brushing and flossing.

4. Can tartar be removed at home?

No, tartar cannot be removed at home. It can only be removed by a professional dental cleaning. However, regular brushing and flossing can prevent tartar buildup and keep your teeth and gums healthy.

5. What are the consequences of ignoring dandruff and tartar?

If left untreated, dandruff can lead to scalp irritation, hair loss, and even fungal infections. Ignoring tartar can lead to gum disease, tooth decay, and tooth loss. It is important to address these issues early on to prevent further complications.