Two integers and thus their squares have no common factors

In summary, the proposition that integers ##p## and ##q## having no common factors implies ##p^2## and ##q^2## have no common factors can be proven without using the fundamental theorem of arithmetic, but the proof hinges on the definition of primes and coprime numbers. However, the proof provided by the book may not be complete without invoking the fundamental theorem.
Erland said:
But of course, I have not seen your full proof, which might clear this issue up.

Let ##m=p_1^{k_1}p_2^{k_2}...p_n^{k_n}##. Given that ##m## is not a square number, there exist at least one ##k_n## that is odd. Suppose we call them ##k_j##'s and denote those even ##k_n##'s as ##k_i##'s. Then for ##\sqrt{m}## to be rational, ##\sqrt{p_1^{k_1}p_2^{k_2}...p_n^{k_n}}## has to be rational. ##\sqrt{p_i^{k_i}}## are integers and hence rational. So ##\sqrt{\Pi_jp_j^{k_j}}## and hence (we are using ##k_j=1## mod 2) ##\sqrt{\Pi_jp_j}## has to be rational. (But it is not rational, so we [will] have a contradiction.)

In a few more steps, we can show that this leads to a contradiction.

The ##p_n##'s are prime numbers while the ##k_n##'s are integers, of course.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Happiness said:
Let ##m=p_1^{k_1}p_2^{k_2}...p_n^{k_n}##. Given that ##m## is not a square number, there exist at least one ##k_n## that is odd. Suppose we call them ##k_j##'s and denote those even ##k_n##'s as ##k_i##'s. Then for ##\sqrt{m}## to be rational, ##\sqrt{p_1^{k_1}p_2^{k_2}...p_n^{k_n}}## has to be rational. ##\sqrt{p_i^{k_i}}## are integers and hence rational. So ##\sqrt{\Pi_jp_j^{k_j}}## and hence ##\sqrt{\Pi_jp_j}## has to be rational. (But it is not rational, so we [will] have a contradiction.)

In a few more steps, we can show that this leads to a contradiction.

My proof would be:

Let ##q = \frac{a}{b}## be a proper rational (where ##a,b## have no common factors and ##b \ne 1##). Now ##a^2## and ##b^2## have the same prime factors as ##a## and ##b## respectively, hence have no common factors. And, as ##b^2 \ne 1##, ##q^2 = \frac{a^2}{b^2}## is a proper rational.

Hence, a proper rational squares to a proper rational, never to a whole number.

Therefore, the square root of a whole number is either a whole number or irrational (never a rational).

Likes Erland and Happiness
PeroK said:
Therefore, the square of a whole number is either a whole number or irrational (never a rational).

I suppose you mean "Therefore, the square root of a whole number is either a whole number or irrational (never a rational)."

Happiness said:
I suppose you mean "Therefore, the square root of a whole number is either a whole number or irrational (never a rational)."
Yes, fixed now!

PeroK's proof is the best one, in my opinion.

Likes PeroK
not a mathematician (like you couldn't tell...) but here is my attempt...

let p<q, no common factor
if p is even (two is a factor) then q cannot be even
if p is threeven (three is a factor) then q cannot be threeven
if p is fourven then p is also even (an integer sub-multiple of four), so q cannot be either

so generally if p is nven (n is a factor) then q cannot be nven nor any integer sub-multiples of n of nven
q cannot be xp nor p^x where x = int > 1; where x=1 then p is pven (p is a factor) so q cannot be pven

for p and q to share a common factor n entails that n<p
but all nven of p for n on q up to p yield no common factor

so for p^2 and q^2 to be nven (share a common factor n),
then p>n<p^2 is the only range to look for n since all nven of p on q where n</=p are eliminated
but all n>p where n=xp<p^2 are already eliminated as well, including all x from 1 to p (where np=pp=p^2)
therefore p^2 and q^2 have no common factor

bahamagreen said:
not a mathematician (like you couldn't tell...) but here is my attempt...

let p<q, no common factor
if p is even (two is a factor) then q cannot be even
if p is threeven (three is a factor) then q cannot be threeven
if p is fourven then p is also even (an integer sub-multiple of four), so q cannot be either

so generally if p is nven (n is a factor) then q cannot be nven nor any integer sub-multiples of n of nven
q cannot be xp nor p^x where x = int > 1; where x=1 then p is pven (p is a factor) so q cannot be pven

for p and q to share a common factor n entails that n<p
but all nven of p for n on q up to p yield no common factor

then p>n<p^2 is the only range to look for n since all nven of p on q where n</=p are eliminated
but all n>p where n=xp<p^2 are already eliminated as well, including all x from 1 to p (where np=pp=p^2)

What do you mean by "nven of p for n on q"? Could you give an example?

"but all nven of p for n on q up to p yield no common factor"

nven is divisibility by n; for p where nven is true, it cannot be true for q

"nven of p" is the case of p divisible by n being true e.g., p is "even" (AKA "twoven") and divisible by 2
"for n" is the factor number for nven e.g., "even" means 2 is a factor
"on q" means q is the object for which this factor cannot apply e.g., therefore q is not even
"up to p" means the n of nven may take integer values from 2 up to but not including p e.g., even (twoven), threeven, fourven... up to but not including pven (because p is a factor)

sorry for the terrible wording and made up terms...

edit - My first intuition about this problem was to assign p and q as y and x intercepts on the axes and wonder if there was anything special that distinguished the lines through p and q (and subsequently the lines through p^2 and q^2) when p and q had vs did not have common factors... but I think that may be similar to what is going on when the various approaches are using p/q?

Last edited:
bahamagreen said:

The third line is not explained clearly. You have only established that ##q## is not divisible by ##p## (since they don't have a common factor). But it has not been established that ##q^2## is not divisible by ##p##, which is your deduction in the third line.

For example, ##q=30## is not divisible by ##p=12##, but ##q^2=900## is. So it's not clear how you come to the deduction that ##q^2## is not divisible by ##p##.

Also, in the second line where you deduce that ##q^2## and ##p^2## have no common factor ##n## for ##n\leq p## because ##q## and ##p## have no common factor ##n## for ##n\leq p##, it looks like an inverse error is committed.

It's better to denote the common factor of ##p^2## and ##q^2## as ##m##, to distinguish it from ##n##, the common factor of ##p## and ##q##.