Solve 2 Jupiter-Size Planets Homework Problem

• Thread starter jorn0807
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jupiter
In summary, two Jupiter-size planets are initially at rest and are released from a distance of 1.50×1011m apart. The question asks for their speed before they crash into each other. Using the equations GMm/r=U and KE=-GMm/2r, it is possible to set up an equation for total energy and solve for the initial velocity. However, the attempt to solve for V by setting U+KE=Uf+0.5mv^2 did not work. More information is needed such as the size of the planets, the final state, the distance between the planets, and the initial kinetic energy.
jorn0807

Homework Statement

two Jupiter-size planets are released from rest 1.50×1011m apart.
What is their speed before crash

Homework Equations

GMm/r=U
KE=-GMm/2r

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried setting U+KE=Uf+.5mv^2 and solve for V but it doesn't work :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jorn0807, welcome to PF.:smile:

Show your work in detail - where does the size of the planets come in? What is the final state ? How far are the planets then? And what is the initial kinetic energy, if the planets are released from rest? (just imagine that you hold a Jupiter-size planet and then you release it ...:biggrin:)

ehild

1. What is the problem about "Solve 2 Jupiter-Size Planets Homework Problem"?

The problem is a homework assignment that involves calculating the mass, radius, and other properties of two Jupiter-sized planets in a given system.

2. How do I approach solving this homework problem?

First, gather all the necessary information such as the mass and radius of the two planets, as well as any other relevant data. Then, use the appropriate equations and formulas to calculate the required properties. Finally, double-check your calculations and make sure they are accurate.

3. What are some challenges I may encounter when solving this problem?

Some challenges may include finding accurate and up-to-date data for the planets, understanding and applying the correct equations, and ensuring that all relevant factors are taken into consideration.

4. Is there a specific method or strategy I should use to solve this problem?

There is no one specific method or strategy to solve this problem, as it will depend on your own skills and understanding. However, it is important to carefully read and understand the problem, gather all necessary information, and use logical and accurate calculations.

5. How can I check if my solution to the homework problem is correct?

You can double-check your solution by using online calculators or consulting with your peers or teacher. It is also helpful to review your calculations and ensure they align with the given data and equations.