Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two kerr black holes?

1. Apr 11, 2008 #1
    Im trying to describe a system of two kerr black holes and I was wondering if this was even possible? Im currently taking a GR course but Ive looked through the textbook and we only seem to deal with stationary solutions to einstein's field question (and no two-body problems).
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2008 #2

Gold Member

It may well be possible, but it's not been done to my knowledge. The Kerr metric is a vacuum solution, and all its properties come from the spherical symmetry. The symmetry of 2 BHs is not so obvious or helpful.
  4. Apr 11, 2008 #3
    yea thats what I thought.. damn..
  5. Apr 11, 2008 #4
    It is specific, but you might want to lookup the double Kerr solution.

Stephani in Exact Solutions of Einstein's Field Equations briefly mentions this in chapter 34.4.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  6. Apr 12, 2008 #5
    For two Schwarzschild black holes, the classic solution is due to Misner. A search for "Misner Inital Data" will pull up plenty of recent papers that might give you a derivation.

For Kerr black holes, check the paper here:
  7. Apr 12, 2008 #6

Gold Member

The exact solution describing two Kerr black holes was presented in D. Kramer, G. Neugebauer, "The superposition of two Kerr solutions", Physics Letters A, 75:4, 259-261 (1980). It does not admit an equilibrium state.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?