Finding the Image Location for Two Lenses in Contact

In summary: If the lenses are thin, so that their focal lengths are small compared to the distance between them, then the image formed by the two lenses will be at a point halfway between the two lenses.
Mulz

Homework Statement

Two lenses with the focal length of 50 mm are placed tightly. An object is placed 130 mm away from the lenses. Where is the image generated by the lenses?

Homework Equations

[tex] \frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b}=\frac{1}{f} [/tex]
[tex] L = f_{ocular} + f_{objective}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Frankly, I tried starting out by simply using the first equation. I got b to around 81 mm to the right.

I don't know if it's correct. The question never specifies which type of lens (convex or concave). Doesn't specify which kind of optical setup (meaning I don't know if to use the second equation). I thought about dividing the problem with respect to each lens but I don't know the kind of lenses used so I have no clue.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mulz said:

Homework Statement

Two lenses with the focal length of 50 mm are placed tightly. An object is placed 130 mm away from the lenses. Where is the image generated by the lenses?

Homework Equations

[tex] \frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b}=\frac{1}{f} [/tex]
[tex] L = f_{ocular} + f_{objective}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Frankly, I tried starting out by simply using the first equation. I got b to around 81 mm to the right.

I don't know if it's correct. The question never specifies which type of lens (convex or concave). Doesn't specify which kind of optical setup (meaning I don't know if to use the second equation). I thought about dividing the problem with respect to each lens but I don't know the kind of lenses used so I have no clue.
You have solved half the problem and found the image formed by the first lens. This image serves as an "object" for the second lens so you need to apply the equation once more. Be careful with your signs. The kind of lenses these are should be obvious from their focal lengths, which are positive. See link below for how to treat multiple lens systems.

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/ap-physics-2/ap-geometric-optics/modal/v/multiple-lens-systems

Two thin lenses in contact are equivalent to a single thin lens whose focal length is given by 1/f = 1/f1 + 1/f2. (Serway). Then 1/i = 1/f - 1/o as usual.

1. How do two lenses affect the image?

Two lenses can either magnify or reduce the size of the image, depending on the placement of the lenses relative to each other and the object being viewed.

2. What is the difference between convex and concave lenses?

Convex lenses are thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, causing light rays to converge and creating a magnified image. Concave lenses are thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges, causing light rays to diverge and creating a reduced image.

3. How do you calculate the magnification of an image using two lenses?

To calculate the total magnification of an image produced by two lenses, you can multiply the magnification of each individual lens. For example, if one lens has a magnification of 2x and the other has a magnification of 3x, the total magnification would be 6x.

4. What is the difference between a real and virtual image?

A real image is formed when light rays actually converge and intersect, creating an image that can be projected onto a screen. A virtual image is formed when light rays only appear to converge and do not actually intersect, creating an image that cannot be projected.

5. How does the distance between the lenses and the object affect the image?

The distance between the lenses and the object can affect the size and clarity of the image. Moving the lenses closer to the object can create a larger and more magnified image, while moving the lenses further away can create a smaller and less magnified image.