Location and Magnification of Coin's Final Image

In summary: So in summary, the image formed by the converging lens is in between the position of the diverging lens and the diverging lens' rightmost focal point.
phunphysics2

Homework Statement

A converging lens of focal length 8.100 cm is 20.3 cm to the left of a diverging lens of focal length 6.63 cm. A coin is placed 12.4 cm to the left of the convering lens.
Is the location of the coins final image to the left of the convering lens, between the lenses, or to the right of the divering lens?
What is the location and magnification of the coin's final image?

Homework Equations

1/do + 1/di= 1/f
m=hi/ho= -di/do

The Attempt at a Solution

first coin goes through converging lens

1/i + 1/o = 1/f

1/i + 1/12.4 = 1/8.1

i=23.358

this acts as object for next lens

o = 20.3-23.358
o=-3.058

1/i + 1/o = 1/f

1/i + 1/-3.058 = 1/-6.63

i=5.676

so to the right of the diverging lens

m = i1/o1 * i1/o2 = (23.358/12.4)*(5.676/-3.058)=-3.496

***Please help me with which bubble to choose. I think it is between the lenses, but I am not absolutely sure

Attachments

• phunphysics2.png
    phunphysics2.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 687
Physics news on Phys.org
i=5.676(cm) to which side of the diverging lens?
How far apart are the diverging and converging lenses?

You can check your results by sketching the ray diagrams.

phunphysics2 said:

Homework Statement

A converging lens of focal length 8.100 cm is 20.3 cm to the left of a diverging lens of focal length 6.63 cm. A coin is placed 12.4 cm to the left of the convering lens.
Is the location of the coins final image to the left of the convering lens, between the lenses, or to the right of the divering lens?
What is the location and magnification of the coin's final image?

Homework Equations

1/do + 1/di= 1/f
m=hi/ho= -di/do

The Attempt at a Solution

first coin goes through converging lens

1/i + 1/o = 1/f

1/i + 1/12.4 = 1/8.1

i=23.358

'Looks correct to me. :approve:

this acts as object for next lens

o = 20.3-23.358
o=-3.058

1/i + 1/o = 1/f

1/i + 1/-3.058 = 1/-6.63

i=5.676

so to the right of the diverging lens

That also looks correct to me. :approve:

***Please help me with which bubble to choose. I think it is between the lenses, but I am not absolutely sure

Wait, what?

As Simon Bridge advised, sketching ray diagrams might be useful here.

Let me point out something that you might find useful in the process.

For the moment, let's remove the diverging lens, but mark the diverging lens' location and focal points for reference (yes, it's a diverging lens, but it still, technically has focal points.) With the converging lens alone, the image that is formed is real, and is at a location in between the position of the diverging lens (if it were still there) and the diverging lens' rightmost focal point.

Compare this situation with two other hypothetical situations, either by asking yourself, or better yet sketching them: What would happen if the image formed by the first lens alone coincided with the position of the diverging lens' rightmost focal point exactly? And what would happen if it was to the right of the diverging lens' rightmost focal point?

When the diverging lens is put back in place, each situation will produce a different result. One will produce a real, final image. One will produce an image at infinity. And one will produce a virtual image.

1. How does the location of a coin affect its final image?

The location of a coin determines where its image will appear. If the coin is closer to the object, its image will appear further away. If the coin is further away from the object, its image will appear closer.

2. How does the size of a coin affect its final image?

The size of a coin affects the magnification of its final image. If the coin is larger, its image will appear larger. If the coin is smaller, its image will appear smaller.

3. What factors influence the magnification of a coin's final image?

The magnification of a coin's final image is influenced by the distance between the coin and the object, the size of the coin, and the type of lens or mirror being used to project the image.

4. How can the magnification of a coin's final image be calculated?

The magnification of a coin's final image can be calculated by dividing the size of the image by the size of the object. This is also known as the magnification ratio.

5. How does the type of surface the coin is placed on affect its final image?

The type of surface the coin is placed on can affect the clarity and quality of its final image. A smooth, reflective surface will produce a clearer image compared to a rough or matte surface.