Two level atoms and qubits

• I
  • Thread starter kelly0303
  • Start date
kelly0303
Hello! I don't know much about quantum computing beside some basic notions, but I was wondering if there are techniques used there that can be used in measuring properties more accurately compared to current laser based techniques (e.g. Ramsey interferometry, infrared interferometry)? For example (this might make no sense) as far as I understand, entanglement is one of the main physical phenomena that make qubits so much better than classical bits. Could we use, say, two entangled atoms to get a better measurement than we would from measuring the 2 atoms separately? Can someone point me towards some papers about using quantum information techniques in atomic physics? Thank you!

Answers and Replies

Twigg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Not sure what your areas of interest are, but quantum logic clocks are an example of entanglement being applied to a very traditional use of atomic physics (timekeeping). Back when I was still in the loop, the NIST aluminum ion clock was the most precise timekeeper around. The technique of entangling one "science" ion and one "logic" ion has potential utility for precision measurements as well. You could imagine doing a Ramsey-type experiment on an interesting but inaccessible transition in the "science" ion using the "logic" ion as an intermediary. There probably are experiments that do something like this, I just can't remember who's doing what anymore.

Suggested for: Two level atoms and qubits

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post