1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two-Level Systems

1. Apr 22, 2008 #1

JK423

Gold Member

May you please help me with the following...
    In quantum mechanics, what`s the definition of the "two-level systems"? I understand that the state vector is in the form |Ψ>=a|1>+b|2>, where |1>,|2> is a basis of the state space.
    Then i think of the particle in a box. The energy is quantized (lets say that the possible values are E1 and E2) while position x is continuous. So, in the first case we would have: |Ψ>=a|E1>+b|E2> and in the second one: |Ψ>=Integral(Ψ(x) |x> dx).
    So if we use as a basis the eigenstates of the energy, our system would be a "two-level system". However, in {x} representation, we would have an "infinite-level system".

So what`s the definition of a "two-level system" since the number of levels depend on the basis we use?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2008 #2

JK423

Gold Member

Any help??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?