1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two limits

1. Apr 21, 2013 #1
    I have the expression:

limb->-8[½b^2]-limb->8[½b^2]

Is it rigorously defined how to calculate this? The question arose because I want the additivity of improper integrals to work and if you take the integral of x from minus infinity to infinity to work the expression above must be zero.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2013 #2
    There are no domain restrictions that we need to be aware of here, so we can just say that ##\displaystyle \lim_{b\rightarrow -8}\frac{b^2}{2} - \lim_{b\rightarrow 8}\frac{b^2}{2} = \frac{(-8)^2}{2}-\frac{8^2}{2} = 0##

If you want rigor, consider the ##\epsilon ,\delta## definition of a limit:

$$\lim_{x\rightarrow \alpha}f(x) = \mathfrak{L} \iff \forall\epsilon>0 \ \exists\delta>0:\forall x (0<|x-\alpha|<\delta \Rightarrow 0<|f(x)-\mathfrak{L}|<\epsilon)$$

4. Apr 21, 2013 #3

Bacle2

Science Advisor

In other words, both limits exist, by continuity of f(x)=x^2 , so you can calculate them individually and subtract. Remember that continuity is equivalent to lim_x-->xo f(x)= f(xo) , so if you accept continuity of
    f(x)=x^2 ( or prove it in the way Mandelbroth suggested ), the result follows.

5. Apr 21, 2013 #4
    lmao. I now see that what appeared as the number 8 was supposed to be infinity. I think that will change the answer from you a bit .

6. Apr 22, 2013 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You can do this:
    $$ \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x~dx = \lim_{b \to \infty} \int_{-b}^b x~dx$$
    $$ = \lim_{b \to \infty} \left.(1/2)x^2 \right|_{-b}^b$$
    Can you continue from here?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted