Two linked bodies via a spring

In summary, Homework Statement:Two linked are attached to each other with a spring. If the second body is placed on a fixed support, the length of the spring is 5 cm. If we fix the first body as in the picture, the length of the spring becomes 15cm.
inv4lid

Homework Statement

two linked are attached to each other with a spring. If the second body is placed on a fixed support, the length of the spring is 5 cm. If we fix the first body as in the picture, the length of the spring becomes 15cm. Determine the length of the spring in the non-deformed state.
_aCHfcg6QW6Hm3xwVqg3mg.png

m1 = 1 kg;
m2 = 4kg;
l1 = 5cm;
l2 = 15cm;

Homework Equations

This time i have really no idea. The m1 pushes the spring with a force of 10N and m2 should like respond with another force? Quite don't get it.

The Attempt at a Solution

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• _aCHfcg6QW6Hm3xwVqg3mg.png
    _aCHfcg6QW6Hm3xwVqg3mg.png
    5 KB · Views: 281
Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest using Hooke's law.

Likes inv4lid
PeroK said:
I suggest using Hooke's law.
10 N = kΔL?
ΔL1 = L1 - L0 from there
L0 = -ΔL1+L1 -> L0 = -ΔL1+5
ΔL2 = L2-L0 from there
L0 = -ΔL2+L2 -> L0 = -ΔL2+15
Quite still don't get it.

inv4lid said:
10 N = kΔL?
ΔL1 = L1 - L0 from there
L0 = -ΔL1+L1 -> L0 = -ΔL1+5
ΔL2 = L2-L0 from there
L0 = -ΔL2+L2 -> L0 = -ΔL2+15
Quite still don't get it.

If we take the first case with the mass ##m_1##. Let ##L## be the natural length of the spring and ##x_1 > 0## be the contraction due to ##m_1##. Then, by Hooke's law:

##m_1g = kx_1##

Where ##k## is the (unknown) sprong constant.

Does that get you started?

Likes inv4lid
PeroK said:
If we take the first case with the mass ##m_1##. Let ##L## be the natural length of the spring and ##x_1 > 0## be the contraction due to ##m_1##. Then, by Hooke's law:

##m_1g = kx_1##

Where ##k## is the (unknown) sprong constant.

Does that get you started?
What is x?
I assume it's a different writing form of ΔL? Ok.
Sorry, but i have already tried that above.
mg (which is 10N) = kx, where both k & x are unknown

inv4lid said:
What is x?

##x_1## is the distance that the spring is compressed from its natural length under the weight of ##m_1##.

Likes inv4lid
inv4lid said:
What is x?
I assume it's a different writing form of ΔL? Ok.
Sorry, but i have already tried that above.
mg (which is 10N) = kx, where both k & x are unknown

Yes, I forgot you had used ##\Delta L_1##.

It doesn't matter how many unknowns you have at this stage. The trick is keep going with the next equation and hope that you can get rid of the unknowns at some stage.

Likes inv4lid
PeroK said:
Yes, I forgot you had used ##\Delta L_1##.

It doesn't matter how many unknowns you have at this stage. The trick is keep going with the next equation and hope that you can get rid of the unknowns at some stage.
A question there: why do we need m2 there if it doesn't influence the object?

inv4lid said:
A question there: why do we need m2 there if it doesn't influence the object?

We don't. I think the premise is that they are joined together. The mass of ##m_2## doesn't affect the first scenario, nor does ##m_1## affect the second.

You might also ask how they managed to attach ##m_1## to the ceiling, but I wouldn't worry about that either.

Likes inv4lid
Okay.
m1g = k(x1-x0)
m1g = k(x2-x0)
->
10 = k(5-x0)
10 = k(15-x0) that's though quite non-sense

Last edited:
inv4lid said:
Okay.
m1g = k(x0-x1)
m1g = k(x0-x2)
->
10 = k(x0-5)
10 = k(x0-15) that's though quite non-sense

In post #4 I had:

##m_1g = kx_1##

That seemed the simplest approach. My thinking was: the spring is being compressed by a certain amount. Let's call that ##x_1##.

But, if you are going to use:

##m_1g = k(x_0 - x_1)##

Then you have to be careful about what ##x_0## and ##x_1## are.

In your second equation things have gone wrong. You've still got ##10## for the force, which can't be right. And, you've got negative numbers creeping in.

Anyway, you need to fix those equations. We can stick with your notation, but you need to be careful about how you are defining things.

Likes inv4lid
PeroK said:
In post #4 I had:

##m_1g = kx_1##

That seemed the simplest approach. My thinking was: the spring is being compressed by a certain amount. Let's call that ##x_1##.

But, if you are going to use:

##m_1g = k(x_0 - x_1)##

Then you have to be careful about what ##x_0## and ##x_1## are. ##x_1## can't be "5" here.

In your second equation things have gone wrong. You've still got ##10## for the force, which can't be right. And, you've got negative numbers creeping in.

Anyway, you need to fix those equations. We can stick with your notation, but you need to be careful about how you are defining things.
Okay. Ty for everything, going to solve it.

1. What is a "linked body" in relation to a spring?

In this context, a "linked body" refers to two objects that are connected to each other through a spring. The objects can be anything from two masses to two walls, as long as the spring acts as a connection between them.

2. How does a spring affect the motion of two linked bodies?

A spring can affect the motion of two linked bodies in several ways. It can act as a force that pulls the bodies towards each other or pushes them away from each other, depending on the direction of the displacement. It can also store and transfer energy between the bodies.

3. What is the significance of the spring constant in this system?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. It determines how much force is required to stretch or compress the spring by a certain distance. In the system of two linked bodies via a spring, the spring constant plays a crucial role in determining the frequency and amplitude of the oscillations.

4. How do we calculate the natural frequency of the system of two linked bodies via a spring?

The natural frequency of a system of two linked bodies via a spring can be calculated using the equation: f = 1/2π√(k/m), where f is the natural frequency in hertz, k is the spring constant in newtons per meter, and m is the total mass of the two bodies in kilograms. This equation is derived from Hooke's Law and Newton's Second Law of Motion.

5. What factors can affect the behavior of the system of two linked bodies via a spring?

The behavior of the system of two linked bodies via a spring can be affected by various factors such as the stiffness of the spring (spring constant), the mass of the two bodies, the initial displacement of the bodies, and the presence of any external forces or damping. These factors can alter the frequency, amplitude, and overall motion of the system.