Two Mass In Contact On Slope

In summary, we have two packages, A and B, sliding down a 20° ramp with different masses and coefficients of friction. Using free body diagrams and the equations F=ma and fk=μkn, we can find the acceleration of the system and ultimately determine how long it takes package A to reach the bottom of the ramp. By factoring in the forces of friction and using the total mass of the system, we can calculate the acceleration and find that it takes package A 2.346 seconds to reach the bottom.
myxomatosii

Homework Statement

Two packages at UPS start sliding down the 20° ramp shown in Figure P8.25. Package A has a mass of 5.0 kg and a *coefficient of friction of 0.20. Package B has a mass of 10 kg and a coefficient of friction of 0.15. How long does it take package A to reach the bottom?

I call the larger mass m2 and the smaller mass m1.

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/1899/p825.gif

Homework Equations

F=ma
fkkn

The Attempt at a Solution

I have drawn two free body diagrams.

m1

up: n1
down:m1gCos(θ)
left:F2 on 1 , m1gSin(θ)
right: fk1

m2

up: n2
down: m2gCos(θ)
left: m2gSin(θ)
right:F1 on 2 , fk2

From this I wrote.

Σ μ θ

ΣFx1=fk1-F2 on 1-m1gSin(θ) = m1ax1

ΣFy1=n1-m1gCos(θ)

therefore

n1=m1gCos(θ)

ΣFx2=F1 on 2+fk2-m2gSin(θ)=m2ax2

ΣFy2=n2-m2gCos(θ)

therefore

n2=m2gCos(θ)

Now where to go from here? I am not sure but I believe I need to find the acceleration of the system since both are bound together by this law. By finding that I would then know ax1 and ax2.

I'm just not sure how... two different μk confuse me, how can I find the total acceleration of the system if both are dragged by different coefficients?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Σ μ θ

Perhaps if I draw a third free body diagram representing the total mass being oppossed by two forces of friction. fk1 and fk2?

fk1k1m1gCos(θ)

fk2k2m2gCos(θ)

Using total mass to find the force pressing against those two forces..?

w12=m12gCos(θ)

Maybe? Its my idea at the moment.

It would allow me to find a=ΣF/m12

myxomatosii said:
Σ μ θ

Perhaps if I draw a third free body diagram representing the total mass being oppossed by two forces of friction. fk1 and fk2?

fk1k1m1gCos(θ)

fk2k2m2gCos(θ)

Using total mass to find the force pressing against those two forces..?

w12=m12gCos(θ)

Maybe? Its my idea at the moment.

It would allow me to find a=ΣF/m12

Using the method in the quote I got.

fk1k1m1gCos(θ)=9.21N

fk2k2m2gCos(θ)=13.81N

Oops below, it was Sin not Cos! (Had it wrong in the post above)

w12=m12gSin(θ)=50.277

So would that mean ΣF12=50.277N-13.81N-9.21N=27.575N

a12=F/m12=1.817m/s2?

myxomatosii said:
Using the method in the quote I got.

fk1k1m1gCos(θ)=9.21N

fk2k2m2gCos(θ)=13.81N

Oops below, it was Sin not Cos! (Had it wrong in the post above)

w12=m12gSin(θ)=50.277

So would that mean ΣF12=50.277N-13.81N-9.21N=27.575N

a12=F/m12=1.817m/s2?

And..

F2 on 1=fk1-m1gSin(θ)-m1ax1

F1 on 2=m2ax2-fk2+m2gSin(θ)

Is that completely off base?

If the acceleration I found for the total system was correct...

a12=a1=a2=1.817m/s2

then

vf=(2aΔx)(1/2) <-- sqrt

vf=4.263m/s

Δt=vf/a12

Δt=2.346s?

The system didn't accept 2.346s.

I just checked all my work and worked through it all again and got the same answer.

So is something wrong with my original free-body diagram, logic or both?

I think I need to factor in F1 on 2 and F2 on 1 to find the acceleration but I can't think of how I would do that..

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of two masses in contact on a slope?

The concept of two masses in contact on a slope refers to a situation where two objects are in contact with each other on an inclined surface. The objects can have different masses and may be connected or resting against each other. This scenario is commonly encountered in physics and engineering problems.

2. How do you calculate the acceleration of two masses in contact on a slope?

To calculate the acceleration of two masses in contact on a slope, you need to consider the forces acting on each mass. These forces include the force of gravity, the normal force, and the force of friction. You can then use Newton's second law of motion, F=ma, to determine the acceleration of each mass. The acceleration of the two masses may differ depending on their masses and the angle of the slope.

3. What factors affect the motion of two masses in contact on a slope?

The motion of two masses in contact on a slope is affected by several factors, including the masses of the objects, the angle of the slope, the coefficient of friction between the objects and the slope, and the force applied to the objects. These factors determine the forces acting on the objects and ultimately affect their acceleration and motion.

4. Can you apply Newton's laws of motion to analyze two masses in contact on a slope?

Yes, Newton's laws of motion can be applied to analyze the motion of two masses in contact on a slope. The first law, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue moving in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force. The second law relates the net force acting on an object to its acceleration, while the third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

5. How can the concept of two masses in contact on a slope be applied in real-life situations?

The concept of two masses in contact on a slope has many real-life applications. For example, it can be used to analyze the motion of objects on an inclined plane, such as a rollercoaster or a car on a hill. It is also relevant in engineering, where it can be used to design and analyze structures on slopes, such as roads, bridges, and buildings. Additionally, it can be used in sports, such as skiing and snowboarding, to understand the forces and motion involved in these activities.