Ignore friction and the the rope and the pulley and the rope have negligible mass.
- When the hanging block
- That work went into the kinetic energy of the masses. What fraction of that kinetic energy went into the motion of the hanging block?
- Suppose now there's a coefficient of kinetic friction
The Attempt at a Solution
1. I figured the work done was equal to change in potential energy, so
2. I'm not sure how to go about this one. I tried to take what I found for the work done and relate it the kinetic energy of the masses, so something like
3. Not sure. I derived an expression for acceleration of the system, and again I don't know if it would help.
Last edited by a moderator: