1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two-mass two spring system

1. Oct 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a two spring 2 mass system, with masses m1 and m2, spring constants k1 and k2. There is also an external harmonic force acting on m2, [tex]F sin(\omega\ t )[/tex]

I have to obtain the free ocsillation frequencies [tex]\omega_{1}[/tex] and [tex]\omega_{2}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

i obtained the following eqns by applying newtons 2nd law to each of the masses

[tex]m_{1}x_{1}'' = -k_{1}x_{1}+k_{2}(x_{2}-x_{1})[/tex]

[tex]m_{2}x_{2}'' = -k_{2}(x_{2}-x_{1})+F sin(\omega\ t)[/tex]

and this is where i am stuck, the notes I have suck tbh and i have no idea what to do next, would be very greatfull for some help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

uiop qwertybob! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I don't get it …

where are the masses and the springs in relation to each other? :confused:
  4. Oct 29, 2008 #3
    sorry i guess i should have mentioned that, hopefully this makes it clear

k1 connects m1 to a fixed point, k2 connects m1 and m2. displacement of m1 = x1, displacement of m2 = x2.

ty for the kind welcome :smile:
  5. Oct 30, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

uiop qwertybob! :smile:

(have an omega: ω :wink:)
    ah! … a fixed point! … all is clear! :biggrin:

ok … multiply each equation by a constant, and add, so that takes the form (ax1 + bx2)'' = c(ax1 + bx2) + Gsinωt.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?