How Do You Solve a Two-Mass, Two-Spring System with External Harmonic Force?

In summary, the conversation discusses a two spring two mass system with masses m1 and m2, spring constants k1 and k2, and an external harmonic force acting on m2. The objective is to obtain the free oscillation frequencies ω1 and ω2. Equations are derived using Newton's 2nd law, but the individual is stuck and requesting for assistance.
qwertybob

Homework Statement

I have a two spring 2 mass system, with masses m1 and m2, spring constants k1 and k2. There is also an external harmonic force acting on m2, [tex]F sin(\omega\ t )[/tex]

I have to obtain the free ocsillation frequencies [tex]\omega_{1}[/tex] and [tex]\omega_{2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i obtained the following eqns by applying Newtons 2nd law to each of the masses

[tex]m_{1}x_{1}'' = -k_{1}x_{1}+k_{2}(x_{2}-x_{1})[/tex]

[tex]m_{2}x_{2}'' = -k_{2}(x_{2}-x_{1})+F sin(\omega\ t)[/tex]

and this is where i am stuck, the notes I have suck tbh and i have no idea what to do next, would be very greatfull for some help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

qwertybob said:
I have a two spring 2 mass system, with masses m1 and m2, spring constants k1 and k2. There is also an external harmonic force acting on m2, [tex]F sin(\omega\ t )[/tex]

uiop qwertybob! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I don't get it …

where are the masses and the springs in relation to each other? :confused:

sorry i guess i should have mentioned that, hopefully this makes it clear

/////[m1]//////[m2]

k1 connects m1 to a fixed point, k2 connects m1 and m2. displacement of m1 = x1, displacement of m2 = x2.

ty for the kind welcome :smile:

uiop qwertybob! :smile:

(have an omega: ω :wink:)
qwertybob said:
k1 connects m1 to a fixed point, k2 connects m1 and m2. displacement of m1 = x1, displacement of m2 = x2.

ah! … a fixed point! … all is clear! :biggrin:

ok … multiply each equation by a constant, and add, so that takes the form (ax1 + bx2)'' = c(ax1 + bx2) + Gsinωt.

What is a two-mass two spring system?

A two-mass two spring system is a physical system consisting of two masses connected by two springs that are attached to a fixed point. It is often used as a model to study the behavior of coupled oscillators in physics and engineering.

What is the equation of motion for a two-mass two spring system?

The equation of motion for a two-mass two spring system can be written as:m1x1'' + k1x1 - k2(x1-x2) = 0m2x2'' + k2(x2-x1) = 0where m1 and m2 are the masses, k1 and k2 are the spring constants, x1 and x2 are the displacements of the masses from their equilibrium positions, and the double prime notation indicates second derivative with respect to time.

What is the natural frequency of a two-mass two spring system?

The natural frequency of a two-mass two spring system is given by:ω = √(k1/m1 + k2/m2)where ω is the natural frequency, k1 and k2 are the spring constants, and m1 and m2 are the masses. This represents the frequency at which the system will oscillate without any external forces acting on it.

How does the stiffness of the springs affect the behavior of a two-mass two spring system?

The stiffness of the springs, represented by the spring constants k1 and k2, determines the natural frequency and the amplitude of oscillation of the system. A higher stiffness will result in a higher natural frequency and a smaller amplitude, while a lower stiffness will result in a lower natural frequency and a larger amplitude. This can also affect the damping of the system, with stiffer springs leading to less damping and a longer period of oscillation.

What are some real-world applications of a two-mass two spring system?

A two-mass two spring system can be found in various real-world applications, such as in car suspension systems, buildings with multiple floors, and musical instruments like the guitar. It is also commonly used in studies of wave propagation, vibration analysis, and earthquake engineering.