How Do Two Masses and a Spring Behave on a Frictionless Surface?

In summary: I also think it's pretty small, so here we go:In summary, the particle 1 has a speed of 4 m/s, and the particle 2 has a speed of -2.5 m/s. The spring has a constant of 600 N/m and has shrunk by 1.5 cm.
SqueeSpleen
I think it belong to Introductory Physics homehork, it's my first course college's physics course, I think it's pretty basic.

We have particle 1 with a mass of 1.6 KG (left one), and particle 2 with an attached spring to it's left with a mass of 2.1 KG (right one).

They're both in a frictionless floor.

The particle 1 has a speed of 4 m/s, and the particle 2 has a speed of -2.5 m/s (they are in the same line).
The spring has a constant of 600 N/m

If someone knows a good way to make sketchs involving springs in the computer I'll try to draw it, if the problem isn't clear I'll scan the sketch.

(a) After the spring starts to shrink, at certain time the particle 1 has a speed 3 m/s. What speed has the particle 2 at the same time?
(b) How much has the spring shrink at that time?.

I know how to solve problems involving an immovable spring, but in this problem I always end up making an assumption I don't know how to justify in order to solve it.

I know:
[itex]\Delta U_e+\Delta U_c+\Delta U_g=0[/itex]
[itex]U_e=k x^2[/itex]
[itex]U_c=\sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{1}{2}v_i ^2m_i[/itex]

[itex]U_g=0[/itex] this isn't used in this problem.

I can calculate how much will the spring shrink at the most because I can think the mass 2 as point of reference and mass 1 with a speed of 6.5 m/s, but I don't know how to solve this without making, for example, the assumption that the spring absorvs energy at the same rate from both sides.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are the particles connected to the spring? Not entirely clear from the description.

voko said:
Are the particles connected to the spring? Not entirely clear from the description.
I think you can assume they are connected; after all, the surface is frictionless so no energy is lost before contact is made. The fun begins when the spring starts to compress.

gneill said:
I think you can assume they are connected; after all, the surface is frictionless so no energy is lost before contact is made. The fun begins when the spring starts to compress.

I think it's correct but I edited the first post to clarity it, so people who read the thread for first time can understand what I meant in the first post.
I hope I made it clear because after this post I'll be unable to edit the first one.
PD: I think I should used rectangles instead circles, and I forget to state that the spring is massless.

Last edited:
SqueeSpleen said:
I can calculate how much will the spring shrink at the most because I can think the mass 2 as point of reference and mass 1 with a speed of 6.5 m/s, but I don't know how to solve this without making, for example, the assumption that the spring absorvs energy at the same rate from both sides.

You should consider employing conservation principles. What's conserved no matter what the (inertial) frame of reference?

It is always useful to think about the conservation laws. Which ones would apply here?

gneill said:
You should consider employing conservation principles. What's conserved no matter what the (inertial) frame of reference?

Momentum? I didn't use it because I thought it wasn't valid when the spring absorvs a part of the energy, if I can still use it then I think I have all the equations I need.
[itex]m_{1}v_{1i}+m_{2}v_{2i}=m_{1}v_{1f}+m_{2}v_{2f}[/itex]
[itex]1.6 KG \cdot 4 \frac{m}{s} + 2.1 KG \cdot (-2.5) \frac{m}{s}=1.6 KG \cdot 3 + 2.1 KG \cdot v_{2f}[/itex]
Then [itex]v_{2f}=-\frac{73}{42} \frac{m}{s}\cong -1.74 \frac{m}{s}[/itex]
Now we calculate the cinetic energy and
we can know how much has the spring compressed, with I think it's ~1.5 cm.

Last edited:
SqueeSpleen said:
Momentum? I didn't use it because I thought it wasn't valid when the spring absorvs a part of the energy, if I can still use it then I think I have all the equations I need.
[itex]m_{1}v_{1i}+m_{2}v_{2i}=m_{1}v_{1f}+m_{2}v_{2f}[/itex]
[itex]1.6 KG \cdot 4 \frac{m}{s} + 2.1 KG \cdot (-2.5) \frac{m}{s}=1.6 KG \cdot 3 + 2.1 KG \cdot v_{2f}[/itex]
Then [itex]v_{2f}=-\frac{73}{42} \frac{m}{s}\cong 1.74[/itex]

Yup. Momentum is always conserved. Careful: you dropped the sign on your final result. And be sure to keep the units!

I edited the message.

SqueeSpleen said:
I edited the message.

Can you show your work? That value looks too small to me.

gneill said:
Can you show your work? That value looks too small to me.

I also think it's pretty small, so here we go:
[itex]\Delta U_e+\Delta U_c+\Delta U_g=0[/itex]
[itex]U_e=k x^2[/itex]
[itex]U_c=\sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{1}{2}v_i ^2m_i[/itex]
[itex]U_g=0[/itex]
Then
[itex]\Delta U_e+\Delta U_c=0[/itex]
[itex]U_c=\frac{1}{2}((4 \frac{m}{s})^2 - (3 \frac{m}{s})^2) \cdot 1.6 KG+\frac{1}{2}((2.5 \frac{m}{s})^2 - (1.74 \frac{m}{s})^2) \cdot 2.1 KG=8.99 KG \frac{m^2}{s^2}[/itex]
I think I made a mistake calculating it the first time, and...
[itex]U_e=k x^2[/itex] isn't the formula I use, it's [itex]U_e=\frac{1}{2}k x^2[/itex] (as k is a constant I guess it's a matter of convention so no one noticed the mistake in the first post).
[itex]8.99 KG \frac{m^2}{s^2}=\frac{1}{2}600(N/m) x^2[/itex]
Then I got 17.3 cm this time, which doesn't seems so small.

SqueeSpleen said:
Then I got 17.3 cm this time, which doesn't seems so small.

Yup. Much better :smile:

What is the concept of "Two masses and one spring"?

The concept of "Two masses and one spring" is a classical mechanics problem that involves two masses connected by a spring. The masses are able to move freely on a horizontal frictionless surface, and the spring is attached between the two masses. The system is commonly used to study simple harmonic motion.

What is the equation of motion for "Two masses and one spring" system?

The equation of motion for "Two masses and one spring" system is given by m1a1 = -k(x1-x2) and m2a2 = k(x1-x2), where m1 and m2 are the masses, a1 and a2 are the accelerations of the masses, k is the spring constant, and x1 and x2 are the displacements of the masses from their equilibrium positions.

What is the significance of the spring constant in "Two masses and one spring" system?

The spring constant, denoted by k, is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. It determines how much force is needed to stretch or compress the spring. In the "Two masses and one spring" system, the spring constant plays a crucial role in determining the frequency and period of the oscillations.

How does the mass of the masses affect the motion of "Two masses and one spring" system?

The mass of the masses affects the motion of the "Two masses and one spring" system in two ways. Firstly, it affects the period of the oscillations, with a higher mass resulting in a longer period. Secondly, it affects the amplitude of the oscillations, with a higher mass resulting in a smaller amplitude.

What are the applications of "Two masses and one spring" system in real life?

The "Two masses and one spring" system has various applications in real life, such as in shock absorbers, car suspensions, and earthquake-resistant buildings. It is also used in musical instruments, such as pianos and guitars, to produce harmonic sounds. In addition, the system is used in seismology to study the behavior of earthquakes.