1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Masses on a Spring

1. Sep 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We attach two blocks of masses m1 = 10 kg and m2 = 4 kg to either end of a spring of spring constant k = 4 N/m and set them into oscillation. Calculate the angular frequency ω of the oscillation

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]M_{1}{x}^{..}=k(w-x)[/tex]
    [tex]M_{2}{w}^{..}=-k(w-x)[/tex]

where x and w are the distance from equilibrium position of m1 and m2 respectively.

Attempt

Honestly, I have absolutely no idea. How does one start this?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2007 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Notice that the right-hand sides depend only on w-x. Wouldn't it be nice if you had an equation where the left-hand side depended only on (d/dt)2(w-x)? How could you get such an equation?

4. Sep 5, 2007 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

What can one say about the center of mass? How does each move with respect to the CM?

Also use \ddot{x} for [tex]\ddot{x}[/tex]

5. Sep 5, 2007 #4
    Are you suggesting I make one equation for both masses instead of two separate equations?

[tex]x_{cm}=\frac{{m_{1}x_{1}+m_{2}x_{2}}}{{\sum{m}}}[/tex]

[tex]x_{1}=w, x_{2}=x[/tex]

6. Sep 4, 2011 #5
    I know this thread is old, but I was wondering if someone could confirm the attempt suggested in the above post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?