1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two masses on inclined plane

1. Dec 17, 2008 #1
    Two masses are being pulled up a 30 degree incline by a force F parallel to the incline. The velocity is constant and up the incline. The force is applied to a 200 kg mass and a string connects the 200 kg mass to a 150 kg mass. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.2. The force F = ?

So I drew a free body diagram, and it has F parallel to the inclined plane (Fx) and the normal force = Fy. There is mg, which is pointed directly down. The friction is pointed in the -Fx direction. I know F=uFn, I also know that Fx = mgcos(theta) and Fy = mgsin(theta). Do I include the 2nd mass in my calculations? I'm assuming I do, in which case the mass is 350 kg. If the velocity is constant, acceleration = 0. Do I need to find the velocity to solve this problem?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2008 #2
    I don't think you need to know the velocity. It is just there to justify using the kinetic friction coefficient for both masses.
  4. Dec 17, 2008 #3
    That's what I thought, but I have no idea how to do this problem. I used the Fx equation I listed above but it doesn't include the friction coefficient.
  5. Dec 17, 2008 #4
    draw a *FBD*

[tex] F_{y}=mg\times cos \phi [/tex]

[tex] F_{x}=F_{A}-mg\times sin \phi + F_{f} [/tex]

and [tex] F_{f}=\mu \times F_{N} = \mu \times mg\times cos \phi [/tex]

[tex] F_{A}=mgsin\phi + \mu \times mg\times cos \phi [/tex]
  6. Dec 17, 2008 #5
    Thanks, Bright Wang. That helped a lot. The Fa you used in that equation, is that the parallel force?
  7. Dec 17, 2008 #6
    applied force
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?