Two masses sliding in a track connected by springs

In summary, to find the frequency of oscillatory motion for a system with masses of 100g and 200g sliding freely on a horizontal frictionless track and connected by a spring with a force constant of 0.5N/m, one can use the equation w^2=k/m or the reduced mass principle. It is important to note that the center of mass will remain stationary as there is no external force on the system, and this can be used to define a clever coordinate system to solve the equations of motion.
akinoshigure
Two masses m1=100g and m2=200g slide freely in a horizontal frictionless track and are connected by a spring whose force constant is k=.5N/m. FInd the frequency of oscillatory motion for this system.

I don't really know how to go about this problem. I'm assuming that the equation to find the frequency would be
w^2=k/m

I did try making the center of mass, but I wasn't sure if it was even necessary. I ended up with xcom=2/3*d where d is the distance from m1 to m2.

Any help or hints would be great. I just don't feel like banging my head on the desk anymore...

Physics news on Phys.org
O.K.
The c.o.m will remain stationary as there is no external force on the system.
Take force constant of that part of the spring only, which is (k d)/(2/3*d) = 3k/2
{?think}
Now with this k find frequency for 100 gm block.

One more way is there. Consider it as two body system and use reduced mass principle.

Start by defining a clever coordinate system and writing the equations of motion. Then you'll have to find a clever way to solve them. hint: Involves a change of variable.

As for "trying to make the center of mass", whatever that means, note that the net force on the system will always be 0, hence the CM will always remain in the same place. This is basically the most important point to realize in defining your clever coordinate system.

What is the concept of "Two masses sliding in a track connected by springs"?

The concept of "Two masses sliding in a track connected by springs" refers to a physical system where two objects (masses) are connected by springs and are allowed to slide freely on a track. This system is often used to model and study the behavior of oscillating systems.

How do the masses interact with each other in this system?

In this system, the masses interact with each other through the springs that connect them. As one mass moves, it exerts a force on the other mass through the springs, causing it to also move. This back-and-forth motion creates an oscillating pattern.

What factors affect the behavior of this system?

The behavior of this system is affected by several factors, including the stiffness of the springs, the masses of the objects, and the initial conditions (such as the initial positions and velocities of the masses). Changing these factors can alter the frequency and amplitude of the oscillations.

What is the equilibrium position of this system?

The equilibrium position of this system is the point where both masses come to rest and the forces between them are balanced. This position is achieved when the springs are neither stretched nor compressed, and the system is at rest.

How is this system used in real-world applications?

This system is commonly used in various real-world applications, such as in shock absorbers for vehicles, pendulum clocks, and earthquake-resistant buildings. By understanding the behavior of this system, engineers and scientists can design and improve upon these types of systems to make them more efficient and effective.